Banning Cell Phones

As I sit here with a blank page scrolling tiktok and checking emails, there is no doubt that I am already distracted. This debate was HOT. I was so heated… heated isn’t the right word… in a frenzy? I guess that is the best I can do to describe it. I was in a frenzy and so I had to physically take five minutes away from the class, go eat some cheese, drink some water and take a breath. I don’t know if it is because it was me debating, because the opposing side really put up a fight, or if it truly was because the debate and chat were so fiery. I’ll admit, the opposing side did make some good points and I think the downfall to our debate is that we were arguing a full out ban. That being said, I still stand by my point.

It was mentioned in the discussion and in our standpoint that whatever we are currently doing is not working. Even if teachers have regulations students are still sneaking in their phones or finding ways to get at it. Or if they do put them away they have to ask to text their “mom” all the time. Who wants to talk to their mom that much… not me. If things were consistent between teachers/classrooms I think it would be SLIGHTLY more manageable but when they see other classes being able to use it, it really gets hard to manage within the classroom.

I also think that with so many issues like cyberbulling, sexting, snapchatting, etc., that eventually mental health issues are going to become so rapid… it already is! Phones are beyond addicting and are affecting social and educational development. Teachers are not going to be able to fully implement a no cell phone rule without the support of administration, and HR. There are already issues with Ontario’s “restrictions“. It is already on a teacher to restrict and monitor phones. I personally, don’t think this is going to work. But great video to watch regardless.

I don’t know about you but I find it so tempting to check my phone when it is beside me. Not for any particular reason, but I too, like to chat with friends… imagine that… teachers who have friends?! bet you didn’t know I also don’t live at the school either… and I am just as guilty, as I am sure most of you are as well that while doing homework, or in class you’ll check your phone. Students who are not able to have their phones will be more engaged during class and will be more engaged with each other. This is a great video that shows the extent that students will go to get their phone in the class, how they interact in the classroom and with each other.

I know that a ban seems extreme and many people think that we should be teaching kids how to utilize it, but do we really know how. In an ideal world, yes that would be great, but wouldn’t it be better if we were teaching kids that they can go 6-7 hours without a cellphone attached to them. That if they don’t have their phones neither do their friends. That they aren’t missing any notifications because no one is messaging them. That they can be engaged in conversation and discussion happening right infront of them.

I go back to what I have stated earlier and what was stated in the debate… what we are doing is not working!!!

9 thoughts on “Banning Cell Phones

1. Hey Chloe, I relate to your need for cheese to calm down in a frantic or frenzied situation. The whole thing could have been heightened because you were debating, but I was not (yet) debating and still felt the need for a break and a cool down before writing my reflection! I agree that in the end the word “ban” became a tricky one.
    Both sides did great in the debate and brought up compelling and well-researched points. My side of it at the end of the debate was that a provincial or any large-scale ban would just create more responsibility and expectations on the school administration and staff. One thing we also did not discuss in detail was the parents side of all of this. I am not yet a parent, but I do wonder how they feel about the idea of potential banning as well!

• There were so many different points that I feel could have been talked about. As a new mom, and I am sure things will change, but I don’t know if I would want to send my kid to school with a phone. I see first hand the issues (in class, during breaks, etc). I just think that school is not the place for them. And I get it, phones are not going away but there is a time and a place. You aren’t in church with your phones…

2. Great post Chloe! It’s clear that both sides had strong points, especially regarding the challenges of enforcing a cell phone ban in classrooms.

Your argument about the current approach not working and the inconsistency between teachers is so true. The school I work at has a “cell phone policy”, but I put it in quotation marks for a reason. It is not enforced by everyone, which makes it hard to implement it yourself.

I also agree that it’s hard for teachers to manage phone use without strong support from administration. Ontario’s restrictions show that it’s not just a simple fix. Your point about the need to teach kids they can go without their phones for a few hours is important. Being fully engaged in class and with each other is something that would benefit everyone.

It was a great debate and a very thought-provoking topic so thanks for that!

3. Hi Chloe,
    Yes, the debate about cell phones was “heated”, but I would say that when people are really annoyed with something, that’s when things get really intense. Teachers are annoyed with cell phones because they don’t know what to do. In my school, students put their phones away every morning in a particular place beside the teacher’s desk. I don’t know how well this is working, but still, this might be something to consider. Until we have clear instructions from the division, do what is best for you and your students!

• I have been doing that for years. It is hard when the kids bring 2 phones and only put one in or the teacher across the hall allows them to have their phones all day. I think it is something that needs to be uniform across all classes!

4. Hi Chloe!

Your reflection on the debate effectively captures the intensity and complexity of the issue. I like this that you highlight the challenges of inconsistent enforcement and the negative impacts of cell phone use on students’ mental health and engagement. Your point about the need for comprehensive support from administration to enforce a no-cell-phone policy is well made. Overall, your passion and thoughtful analysis shine through, making a strong case for your stance. I agree with your ideas. Well Done!

5. Hello Chloe!

I enjoyed reading your perspective. You covered everything I had in mind, addressing each issue thoroughly. I agree that the debate was intense, and I particularly loved how you started it. I find myself grappling with the same addiction to checking my phone every few minutes. I feel that to drive change, we need to start with ourselves. I want to set a positive example for my son by reading books or playing with him instead of just watching reels or letting him watch TV to keep him occupied. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

6. Hi Chloe. I relate to the frenzy. I found myself also frenzied when I was debating. But looking at a full out ban is something that I am not sure about. I think that moving the phones away from the students especially during instructional time is important. But can we really ban them totally?

7. Your post captures the heated nature of the debate on banning cell phones in classrooms. I appreciate your thorough analysis of the challenges in enforcing a consistent policy and the potential impacts on students’ mental health and engagement. The main takeaway for me is the need for a unified approach and strong administrative support to manage cell phone use effectively.