Uncategorized

Lining Up For a Cause

“Everybody needs to head to their lockers, change into their outdoor shoes and line up at the door.” Sitting in my desk anticipating this moment, my class was bubbling with excitement as we all got prepared to head outside. We got to skip the math period for the afternoon. It was a crisp September day. We could hear the wind hitting the glass window during silent reading, so I knew it was going to be a little chilly but the sun was shining down.  I was hopeful it sounded worse than it was. I decided to put on my grey wind jacket along with my red and black laced runners. I tie my shoes so tight so I do not have to stop at all to re-tie them. I head back to the doorway of my 6th grade classroom, and wait for the rest of my classmates. As I am watching the minute pass on the analog clock,  we get the go ahead and start heading downstairs to the door. Our classroom is so high up in the school, as I start to go down the three flights of stairs, I tighten my grip to the railing and start skipping a few steps, almost as if I am hopping down them. 

I see the whole school start to gather together in the school yard, as my classmates and I flood out of the east doors. We meet up with another group to find our reading buddies. I look over top of the sea of small second grade children, and see Sierra standing there looking for me too! I see the crowd growing bigger as teachers bring their classes out. It is so cool that we all get to participate together as a school. We have had the same reading buddies since the fifth grade, so I found it easy to find mine. We all paired up, and held hands while waiting to receive our stickers. Mrs. Reidy came around, and passed me a round, white sticker for my jacket. I read the words on my sticker, “Anything’s possible if you try. -Terry Fox” I love my sticker, I remember being so proud to wear it on my jacket. I have a strong feeling that Terry would be proud of us for wearing his stickers to keep bringing awareness to his cause and by walking with our groups we are making him proud. 

Off we go, out of the school yard to walk the city. I feel the cool fall September breeze as I follow the lead of the teacher, and my buddy follows my lead holding my hand. As we walk I can feel the gravel underneath my shoes on the crackling sidewalks. Sierra and I talk about the walk. We talk about Terry, and the story books we read before coming outside.  I remember telling her that I love to do the Terry Fox run, because I love getting to help continue to tell his story. 

• Megan Sharp

I really enjoyed this story! I felt like you really nailed it when it came to the key requirements, specifically the rich, detailed text. From the start with the “crisp September day,” to the “gravel underneath my shoes,” you really encapsulated what this day was like for you. You didn’t put any unnecessary detail and everything was explained really well. As I read your story, it reminded me of so many great memories from my elementary school days that I had forgotten until now. The Terry Fox run was such a unique experience which I feel like all Canadians can understand, and it feels really cool knowing that even if we weren’t physically doing the same run together, we all have a collective memory of what this was like. When I think of the Terry Fox run, I always relate it to the beginning of a new school year. I remember the anxiety of meeting new people but the excitement of seeing your friends after the long summer, and the Terry Fox run was always such an exciting way to make up for that time apart. In regards to what this means as being Canadian, you mention in your last line “I love getting to help continue his story,” which I think really captures the moral compass of Canadians. Canada is nowhere near perfect, and sometimes is divided by political beliefs or other aspects, but there are some things that we can all unite together with and I think you displayed this in a great way.