Pre-Internship Professional Development Plans

After having a conversation with the supervising teacher, I have made the correction the following week of teaching to asking “do you understand?” “or does anyone have any questions?” as she noted that is good to ensure student have an understanding, they know I am there to answer their questions if they have them and do not need to be asked so many times. I overall really appreciated this feedback as it was only my second time teaching and it gave me a bit more confidence in my approach, and prepared be better for the following week.

I was thankful for the extensive feedback on this lesson, as it made me personally reflect on what I was teaching. It made me remember that talking about families may need a tough subject for some, and this might have been the reason a few of the students did not want to participate in the activity portion. I overall felt that the lesson went well, and that the students enjoyed the video and activity at the end.

From an assessment perspective, I thought the activity was a really good way to see if the students internalized what is considered a role or responsibility, and it also was great to see them critically think about how they view their household. Going forward, I would adjust this lesson to have fewer words on the presentation, and provide a fill in the blank note taking sheet as opposed to just giving them the information already written, to increase their engagement in the lesson during the presentation. I used these improvements in my lesson the following week.