Treaty Ed Camp

October 20-21

My first experience at Treaty Ed Camp was one to remember.  I was introduced to many speakers that have made a huge impact on my beliefs about Truth and Reconciliation.  This weekend helped me think of new, interesting ways to incorporate Treaty Education in my classroom.

Pre-conference was held Friday, October 20 and had a huge impact on me.  Anishinaabe comedian, writer, and community activist Ryan McMahon was the speaker and he had a lot of amazing things to say.  He opened my eyes to different ways of incorporating Treaty Ed in the classroom.  He spoke of truth and reconciliation and how we have been treating it like a “bag of puppies that no one wants to deal with.”  I found this so relateable, we all know that there is a problem but we don’t know how to deal with it so we pass it on to the next generation.  I want to be part of the generation that steps up and deals with this “bag of puppies.”

Ryan also spoke about how many non-Indigenous Canadians are embarrassed by their countries history.  He spoke to all of us non-Indigenous Canadians and reminded us that we didn’t create this history, our ancestors did.  We have no reason to clam up when the conversation about Residential Schools starts.  We need to have these conversations and be comfortable talking about Truth and Reconciliation so that we can make a change.

Another memorable speaker was the Nakota/Cree Little Black Bear rapper that goes by Info Red.  He talked about bringing Indigenous music into the classroom.  He visits different schools and has them talk about deep subjects through song.  I got the opportunity to listen to him rap for us and was blown away by the raw emotion behind his words.  Take a look at one of my favourite songs by him: