Week 5: Directed Drawing

Square

Thanks for checking in again to any readers that have read my past posts and welcome to any new ones. Last week, I worked on a Perspective Drawing of a room. This week I did a Directed Drawing that I was introduced to me through substituting this week.

When I was subbing this week the teacher left a directed draw to do with the students that came from Arts for Kids Hub on YouTube. As I was looking through the channel, I found out that it has been active for over 5 years. Some videos have millions of views and others that were posted even a week ago had sixty-one thousand views. I had never seen any of the content before but I was interested because it is a family that runs the account. It is really cool because the videos that I watched and followed along to were of the father and one of his children. It was super easy to follow and it is was good because he related the specific lines to basic shapes or ideas.

The great part was the only supplies I needed this week was paper and a sharpie. If you wanted you could also grab some crayons or pencil crayons to add some color.

The first step is making a wide “V” followed by a curved line above to make the nose. To make the mouth you draw two lines coming down from the nose making a “U” shape. The eyes were made from small circles evenly spaced out then a circle around each of them. Then to make the head you draw a circle around everything. The ears are made out of two semi-circles.

The body is formed by drawing two diagonal lines down from the head and each gets looped back towards the head to create the arms. A curved line attaching the arms near the head creates a neck line and a curved line attaching the bottom of the arms makes the body. The feet are two medium ovals attached to the arms with an oval inside each to create the bottom of the foot. The toes are simply created by small circles.

Below is an owl that can be drawn by following a video by Art for Kids Hub.

The two videos that I used for the directed drawing are below so if you like to doodle or want to know how to draw something take a look at these.

Some connections to the curriculum and classroom can include subjects such as Arts Ed., ELA and Science. For ELA, I was thinking maybe you are doing a literature study and you can find a directed drawing video on an animal, character or an object that is significant. This can make Arts Ed. and ELA cross-curricular. In Science, I had similar thought maybe the student was researching a certain animal/plant or climate and part of the assignment is that the student needs to create a drawing on the title page.

Comment

5 Replies to “Week 5: Directed Drawing”

1. Cody,

They are too cute! You’re doing a great job – keep practicing!!

2. Hey Cody,
    It’s always exciting to learn about new resources other teachers use that you can implement in your own classroom or keep in your toolbox for your future classroom!
    It is also a great idea to bring art into other subjects to enhance assignments or projects and make it cross curricular. Keep up the good work!

3. Hi Cody,
    I enjoyed your blog post on how to use lines to create your art. I could really learn something as I am a terrible artist and can only draw stick men. I loved the tutorial movies to go along. I felt your blog was easy to follow along and is very organized. Keep up the great work!

4. Hello Cody,
    I just checked out Art for Kids Hub’s youtube channel. Their lots of drawings that students can learn how to draw for different occasions and I saw some cartoons and Disney characters that students would like to learn. It seems to be a great art resource.

5. Fantastic job on your directed drawing, Cody! I love using the Art for Kids YouTube channel with my students as well. The instructions are simple, well laid out, and exciting for kids. You did a great job of outlining the process of your experience and how it relates to teaching. By drawing in the curriculum connections, you are in turn helping other educators relate these lessons to their own classrooms. One suggestion that I have for you is to use headings in your posts to organize your thoughts and information. For example, when you talk about the subjects that you could incorporate your drawing lessons into, you could title it “Curriculum Connections for the Classroom.” Another thing to keep in mind is the formatting of your blog posts. Always preview your posts to make sure the images are not too large and take away from the text. Overall, you did a good job of including videos, images, and a link in your post. Thanks for sharing your learning experience with us!