I AM ALWAYS LEARNING!

Harder than it looks

Week #1. Wow all I have to say is that this was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be.  Who would have thought that colouring on an Ipad would be so hard? 
So this week I dived headfirst into learning how to use Procreate on my Ipad. I thought that I was going to be able to watch at least 5 videos with 5 different art pieces at the end of this week but that was not the case at all. I started following along with one youtube video that was only about 30 minutes and it turned out to take me over 2 hours to get all the way through this video.

This was about half way through the video. And at this point I was starting to really doubt myself and what I could do because my drawing did not look as good as the lady in the video.

However, this is how my drawing turned out. Not horrible for my first ever art piece on Procreate.  How do you think I did?

What I learned from this first week:

I learnt soooooo many terms that I had never heard of until opening up my Procreate app such as; Alpha lock, clipping mask, transformations, colour dropper, etc. As well as I learned different ways to use brushes, smudging, colours and colour palettes, layers, etc. I also learned that not all videos are easy to follow. This lady took it through nice and slow and showed where everything was. I watched another video that was very fast and she jumped by steps assuming that I knew what she was talking about. 

Goals for this week

I am starting lettering! So my goal is to find another good channel to watch a video, find some templates online to help practice my consistency in letters, and maybe find an app or a class to take! Any advise from any artists out there?

1. Megan

Your flowers look so cool! I’m excited to see what your lettering looks like.

2. Alexandra Crammond

Hey Cyandra!
    Good for you for sticking it out even though you were doubting yourself! It payed off, I think it looks great! It’s awesome that you have already learned so much, soon you will be a procreate master! I can’t wait to see your lettering next week!

3. Sydney Kawa

Hello Cyandra,
    I love the final product, especially the flower that goes from orange at the base to peachy tones closer to the top. I feel like even though it took you two hours to get through a half an hour video it can be seen as a positive thing! The more you practice the more smoothly the process will go, and you can transfer your ‘learning project procreate time’ into your ‘relaxation and you time’. I noticed in the first picture you provided that you had a candle to help make your work area more relaxing and cozy, I love that!

Good luck for next week as I cannot wait to see what you create. Stay safe and healthy!

4. Presley Allen

Hey Cyandra!

I have never used procreate before, and so I can imagine how overwhelming it would be at first! I agree that many tutorial videos move very quickly when explaining new concepts and they can be very hard to follow when you are just beginning. It’s super cool that you were able to learn all of those new terms. I’m sure that will make things easier in the future.

Your final piece looks great! Looking forward to seeing more of your creations. Good luck with lettering this week!

5. Ian Mansfield

Hi Cyandra,
    The Procreate app is really cool, one of my friends is a successful artist who uses a lot of different mediums, like paint, watercolour, charcoal, and Procreate for digital art. I can see how it would be overwhelming at first with all of the foreign terms, but I think you are going to do great! I have found myself having the same experience as you with the 30 min video taking 2 hrs, constantly rewinding and pausing to figure things out. I really dig the style of your first art piece. Those flowers are super cute! I look forward to your next update 🙂
    Ian