Digital citizenship is the continuously developing norms of appropriate, responsible, and empowered technology use (from digitalcitizenship.net). 

Before Amanda Brace gave a lecture on digital citizenship I had a hard time wrapping my head around why we would want to encourage students to get online faster than their peers are already pressuring them to. And then through the discussion in #EDTC300 I realized that that is why. As teachers, we are in a lot of cases the second educators (first being guardians) of students and we need to be the first exposure so that students can learn the positives and not the negatives from their peers. 

I have created a shortlist of ways that I would implement digital citizenship education into my class curriculum. Before I start I want to list the 9 elements of digital citizenship. Digital Access, Digital Commerce, Digital Communication and Collaboration, Digital Etiquette, Digital Fluency, Digital Health and Welfare, Digital Law, Digital Rights, and Responsibility, and Digital Security and Privacy. I will reference these explaining how each grade and class will teach students about digital citizenship.

Grade 3 English Language arts 

Outcome: CC3.2 Communicate ideas and information pertaining to topics, problems, questions, or issues by creating easy-to follow representations with a clear purpose.

Indicator: Demonstrate understanding of the topic, problem, question, or issue in a variety of ways (e.g., dance pieces, visual representations, drama in context, diagram, demonstration, chart). 

Digital Citizenship Relation: Digital Communication will give students the understanding on how to properly express themselves and how they now have a platform to share questions, issues that interest them, information, etc. in a proper way.

Grade 4 Health education 

Outcome: USC4.3 Examine healthy interpersonal skills and determine strategies to effectively develop new relationships and/or negotiate disagreements in relationships.

Indicator: Practice the ability to calm self and discuss how it is important to remain calm in disagreements.

Digital Citizenship Relation: Digital Etiquette will be discussed in this class to help students to help them navigate how to socialize and communicate online when oftentimes people can blow up, rant, and bully so much more online. So teaching the students that we need to be in control at all times so that we are respecting everyone.

Grade 8 Health Education 

Outcome: USC 8.2 Analyze how personal prejudices/biases, and habits of mind shape assumptions about family identities, structures, roles, and responsibilities. 

Indicator: Question examples of injustice towards families in own communities

Digital Citizenship Relation: Digital Access will teach the students in this lesson that there are students and families that do not have access to technology that many take for granted. As well at this point they will hopefully understand all the benefits of technology and help fight for technology access for all their peers.

I do believe that adding digital Citizenship education into the curriculum I think that any earlier than grade 3 should be done in fun ways where you integrate it into games, and class dances, and fun music, and maybe having class blogs, podcasts, and social media. Other than that students lower than grade 3 normally do not have their own technology and therefore it would be harder to incorporate much more into teaching them about it.