Think about the relationship between digital citizenship and the SK curriculum. In a post, discuss various possibilities for connecting Ribble’s nine elements of digital citizenship with grade levels, subjects, and outcomes and indicators (be specific). Where and how do you see yourself integrating digital citizenship in your future classroom? After reflecting on the conversations about digital citizenship over the past semester this is what I have learned. Digital citizenship is your presence online, on social media, and really anywhere that can be brought up on a computer, phone, etc. Our digital citizenship is what employers will find when they search through job sites, it’s what students will find when they Google your name, it is what coworkers will find when they follow you on social media. Now to me, this does not really sound scary because I have kept myself pretty “clean” online as Katia would say. However, this is something that was not taught in school but by my parents. And just like many other things teachers cannot assume that parents are teaching their children Digital Literacy so I think it is something that needs to be present in our curriculum.

E-learning and Online Education for Student and University Concept. Graphic interface showing technology of digital training course for people to do remote learning from anywhere.

Here are some simple ways that I will relate the curriculum as a high school teacher to Ribble’s nine elements of digital citizenship.

Calculus 30

• Outcomes– C30.5 Extend understanding of curve sketching by applying differentiation and limits.
  • Indicators– Analyze graphical representations…critical points, concavity, etc.

After looking at how my Calculus class was run in this section we heavily relied on graphing calculators and online graphs. However, with Digital access we have to acknowledge that not every student will have access to these things, so making it a point to provide or to avoid technology in this setting will set up for a level playing field. 

English Language Arts 30

• Outcomes- CC A 30.1 Students will extend their abilities to speak, write, and use other forms of representation to explore and present thoughts, feelings, and experiences in a variety of forms for a variety of purposes and audiences
  • Indicators- Create a range of visual, multimedia, oral, and written texts. -Compose and create a narrative, descriptive, expository, and persuasive writings that include a position paper, a comparative essay.

By looking at multimedia where students can communicate their thoughts in a well-thought-out way can easily translate to digital communication and Collaboration. Having students be able to represent themselves and their thoughts well will be a great asset. As well having students write persuasive essays with the intent to help them better articulate themselves in a positive and respectful manner will help students avoid getting into arguments online and thus bettering their Digital Citizenship. 

With all of this information from EDTC300 I am excited to start implementing positive Digital Citizenship into many of my lesson plans.