Teaching With Technology

Teaching with Technology

Danica Finlay (200402114)

Faculty of Education University of Regina

ELNG 326

Professor: Dr. Rubina Khanam

I believe that we are privileged to have the power of technology right at our fingertips. Learning a language through apps such as YouTube and TikTok has become the new way of learning. I have many friends who have taken up a new language because of the fact that learning is now so accessible! Before technology such as phones, computers and the internet in general, if you wanted to learn a new language, you needed to book lessons/ classes. Not only was it inconvenient, but taking classes meant spending money and needing a means of transportation… unless you paid extra for a teacher to come to you. My point is, free language classes online are extremely convenient. 

When I think about my own teaching in the future, I will definitely use technology within my lessons. According to Ahmadi, “Technology- enhanced teaching environment is more effective than lecture- based class” (Ahmadi, 2018, p. 118) This fact seems surprising to me, but very realistic. I think that being able to watch and listen to different content is very engaging for students, and because of that, they are able to possibly learn more without even realizing. I completed my authentic material review assignment, and I used a YouTube video as my material because I felt this would be the most beneficial way of learning and keeping students engaged by listening to a children’s cartoon. This way of teaching is beneficial for kids because I believe that they would listen more closely to a show that they want to watch rather than listen to me teach a lesson. Ways of learning a new language through technology is almost endless! Whether it is through social media, videos, TV or different apps, you are always listening, reading and sometimes practicing responding.

Another way that technology helps with language learning is through language translating apps. With phones in hand, you don’t need to worry if a person that you are trying to communicate with speaks a different language than you because you can just translate! As a future educator I can also use technology to assist in classroom activities. An article titled The Use of Technology in English Language Learning: A Literature Review discusses the value of technology, saying,  “Technology enables teachers to adapt classroom activities, thus enhancing the language learning process” (Ahmadi, 2018, p. 117). 

The first TikTok videos I viewed were of Anna Bartosik,  an english teacher and a PhD candidate. Anna shared an informational video about expressing opinions. She said that if you are learning a new language think about the types of settings you will be speaking in. If you are speaking in a classroom you can speak formally, but outside of the classroom, you may want to express opinions differently in a less formal way. She suggested watching TV and videos online to help learn. I personally think that this is a great idea! Last year I lived with three exchange students from South Korea and Korean was their first language. To help them learn slang terms and a more casual way of speaking, they watched the show Friends every night before bed. They said that watching and listening to shows in English was their favourite way to learn the language, but sometimes the speed of the show went too fast. Netflix now has a feature that lets you slow down the speed of the show in half! I find that many platforms that include long videos are now starting to include this feature which I think is very inclusive for people learning a new language. 

Ahmadi, M. (2018). The Use of Technology In English Language Learning: A Literature Review. International Journal Of Research In English Education, 3(2), retrieved from https://urcourses.uregina.ca/pluginfile.php/2427345/mod_resource/content/1/Technology%20and%20language%20learning.pdf