Curriculum development from a traditionalist perspective is widely used across schools in Canada and other countries. In my own experience of schooling, the traditionalist perspective is the one I was primarily exposed to. My understanding of curriculum is very similar to western scholars, such as Ralph W. Tyler.

a) I think this is the result of my upbringing and my own experiences in the education system. Tyler emphasizes how change must occur within students, as this is the purpose of education, and I believe that a student-based approach to learning was the way my instructors taught me as I grew up. Specifically, I recall that while some classes were solely based around information retention, others such as my math and science classes worked towards the diversity between the levels of the students in my class. The curriculum in these classes was taught in ways similar to the Tyler rationale as they looked at the educational outcomes and organized the experiences that took place in order for students to attain the information, rather than just relaying formal curriculum.

b) The limitations of the Tyler rationale are evident and detract from the actual experiences of students, even though that is what could be thought of as the opposite of the approach. Firstly, students have very little input into what they are learning and how it is being taught. As education is student-centric, the planned program of activities just isn’t logical. Students all have different needs and learning paces, so when you treat education as a regimen rather than a collective learning experience, some can be left behind in the process. Education as a whole is to be planned, but not rigid, as a lesson may have to adapted multiple times to ensure all students are learning the material. Another limitation is the interpretation that behavior can be calculated and measured. It is uncertain that the successful or unsuccessful effects of one’s teaching can be known at the exact time of a lesson or experience. Thirdly, the interaction between teachers and students when this rationale is used is objective, straying away from the actual experience of learning. The interaction between a student and teacher is incredibly influential, and if teachers look at their job as only developing competencies in students, then the experience may be less impactful than desired, or negative as a whole. Lastly, unanticipated results are inevitable. Pre-determining outcomes can cause educators and students to dismiss the informal curriculum, or hidden curriculum, that is learned through interaction and does not appear as an objective. These outcomes of learning that are not predisposed are important to the development of students and can communicate messages and ideas that may not be educationally important or negative towards growth.

c) Although there are many shortcomings of the Tyler Rationale, I do believe there are benefits from it as well. Particularly, I think the last fault given in the article can be looked at from both sides. It can possess negative consequences if the interaction between student and teacher is weak and undesirable, but with proper interface, this can allow for development and growth in the student. I know this from example, as the lessons I learned from one of my teachers is the reason I wanted to enter the faculty of education. Furthermore, the teachers who I thought were lacking when I was in school also made me want to pursue education, as I know that they detracted from me and many of my peers’ experience in our schooling. Another benefit of the Tyler Rationale is that it focuses on experience and outcomes of learning. I think that since formal curriculum is based on outcomes and the actual experiences of students, it emphasizes what it means to educate, even though it misses the point of why education is not only shaped by what is formally taught, but all the ideas that surround how students learn and the differences that occur within schooling. I think that the knowledge of this specific rationale is important to have, but maybe not enforce as an educator.