Before entering the EDTC 300 class, I had never heard the phrase digital citizenship.  I was in high school in the late 1990s and early 2000s, so digital citizenship wasn’t a term.   As the years go by, children are no longer just being introduced to computers and the internet but are immediately immersed in the world of the internet through Netflix, Disney+, and YouTube. It’s imperative that the education system steps in and helps children understand the dangers that go along with the benefits of having all information at our fingertips.

After reading Character Education for the Digital Age (Jason Ohler), I realized that many schools follow the two-lives theory. Many children are being left to their own devices to navigate the world of technology. Where will it happen if digital citizenship and technology aren’t discussed in school? The curriculum is starting to change and needs to be updated more so that technology is more prominent. Students need to understand the reproductions of a negative digital imprint. Grade 10 is too late to start discussing cyberbullying, sexting and homophobia (Digital Citizenship Continuum).  To me, this is the same as putting a bandaid on a problem once it has happened.  “Oh, you’ve already started sexting and cyberbullying; well, I guess we should have a discussion.” As educators, we need to be proactive and help students understand the disadvantages and advantages of growing up in a world of technology.

A customer shopping on social media platforms using a mobile phone conceptThe IRL Fetish” (Nathan Jurgenson) explains how addicted society is to technology. People pride themselves on not being online and on taking a break from their smartphones or social media. I find that when I spend too much time scrolling Facebook or TikTok, my emotions are affected. As an adult, I have become self-aware of how these applications can affect me. Children need to learn to self-evaluate their feelings.  This should be discussed in class; it does not become the norm without the discussion.  I believe our mental health is essential, and the only way to lose the mental health stigma is to talk about it openly.

Since many parents were not taught about digital citizenship growing up and how to navigate the future regarding it to their children, educators need to step up.  Ribble’s nine elements of digital citizenship should begin in the early years so students can understand their rights and responsibilities.  This way, educators are being proactive instead of talking to students about the repercussions of online safety after the damage is done.