It’s Shopping Time!!!!

This weekend, Al and I removed most of the red rock from the flowerbed, so it was time to go shopping! I know my flower bed gets morning sun and afternoon shade so that I will need plants ideal for part shade and zone 3 hardiness. I went to TikTok and Instagram Reels to research perennials in zone 3.

After some research, I decided to add some Hostas to my flowerbed. I had to consider that hostas are unsuitable for dogs, cats, or horses. My dogs and cats don’t seem to eat my plants, so I should be good there.

@brandonkoruna

Hostas : Zone 3-9 , shade loving summer bloomong perennial flower #garden #gardening #plants #flower #dailyplantshowcase

♬ original sound – Brandon Koruna

I also want colour in my flower garden, so I’m looking for flowers that work in part shade and zone 3. On Instagram Reels, I found many flowers that will work in this area. I love Dianthus. They are so pretty! Hamiltonhousedesigns on Instagram reviewed many perennials that will work in my space. 

My first stop COSTCO did I buy lots of perennials? Yes!  Are they all hardy for zone 3? definitely not, opps I got a little carried away

but decided what the heck I thought they were beautiful. I may need to replant a couple of my plants next year.

This year I will be planting a bleeding heart (zone 3 hardy), hostas (2 out of the 3 are zone 3 hardy), Dianthus (zone 3 hardy), Penstemon (zone 3 hardy), and Columbine (zone 3 hardy).

I am so excited for the next step, getting dirt from our family ranch, landscaping cloth and mulch.

1. Mariia Selivanova

Hi Dayna!! This is great! It sounds like you had a productive weekend getting your flowerbed ready for some new plants! Researching perennials suited for your specific climate and sunlight conditions is a great idea. TikTok and Instagram Reels can be surprisingly helpful platforms for finding information about gardening. Good luck with your planting, and I can’t wait to see your flowers bloom!

• Dayna Coffey

I’m always surprised when I can go to Instagram or TikTok for inspiration and information.

2. Avery Kotylak

Hello Dayna! Your flower bed project sounds exciting and filled with beautiful choices! Hostas, Dianthus, bleeding heart, Penstemon, and Columbine will create a stunning, colourful display perfect for zone 3. It is great that your pets don’t munch on your plants, making hostas a safe addition. Happy gardening and I can’t wait to see your progress!

• Dayna Coffey

Thanks!