Week 9: Curriculum In Action

Culturally relevant pedagogy will look very interactive. As a future teacher I understand my role to teach, but learning from my students is just as important if I am going to teach through a culturally relevant pedagogy. I want to learn alongside my students so I can best accommodate them. “Culturally relevant pedagogy builds on the understanding of “how people are expected to go about learning may differ across cultures, and in order to maximise learning opportunities, teachers must gain knowledge of the cultures represented in their classrooms, then translate this knowledge into instructional practice”. It will sound critical, allowing students to take a critical gaze to societal constructs and curriculum. It states in Ann Lopez’s article, “Critical literacy should engage students in developing a critical consciousness that interrogates the discursive structures they come to understand the world by. Developing critical consciousness is also an underlying principle of culturally relevant pedagogy”. My classroom will feel relevant by exploring and using new socio-cultural theories and keeping up with demographic shifts. It will feel inclusive to everyone and as much as possible will be catered toward individual experiences and interests for each student. The example of speaking poetry is strong in promoting the individuality of students along with adjusting the curriculum set activity of poetry to become culturally relevant. 

As a teacher, I will contribute to the sense of place for my future students by centring learning in lived experiences. Music is super powerful in terms of linking these lived experiences with a place. I have memories of family trips, days at the lake, soccer tournaments, etc. that all have specific songs linked to them whether we listened to them in the car, on the beach or in the dressing room. In Julia Brooks article Placing elementary music education: a case study of a Canadian rural music program really showed how music and place intertwine and can be used in a classroom.  Brooks states, “Many of the music-making experiences were group-based, thereby offering a place for each student to participate”. Music allowing each student to get involved and feel a sense of place is a beneficial and effective way to promote a positive place for students. Also, Brooks states, “Place-based education research suggests that our society consists primarily of relationships between and among people and places, and that our educational system should facilitate the development of positive relationships with the land as well as with others”. To facilitate this positive relationship starting with an exploration of land would be my first instinct. Land is not something I paid any attention to as a student and I think if I had I would have been more understanding of why society’s relationship with the land is so important and necessary I would have had a stronger sense of place. 

Lopez, A. (2011). Culturally relevant pedagogy and critical literacy in diverse English classrooms: A case study of a secondary English teacher’s activism and agency. English Teaching: Practice and Critique, 10(4), 75-93. 

Brook, J. (2013). Placing elementary music education: a case study of a Canadian rural music program. Music Education Research, 15(3), 290-303. 

4 thoughts on “Week 9: Curriculum In Action”

1. I like that you talked about learning alongside your students. This is a very important message, as even though teachers are educators, they can still learn from those they educate! You also talked about acknowledging each students’ individual lives, which is also important as everyone is different and you can’t stereotype everyone together. What are some ideas you’ve thought of to incorporate music into your classroom as a future teacher? I agree that music is a necessity for students to excel in their learning.

2. I think teaching students about a positive relationship with the land is super important and agree with you that it will help create a sense of space for students I know in school we didn’t focus a lot on relationships with the land. What are you ideas for helping students create a positive relationship with the land?

3. It is great that you want to learn along with your students and use relevant teachings. The students individual experiences are great ways to interact with the class and stay relevant to their interests. What kind of activities would you do to get the kids to explain their experiences? Even though you did not pay attention to land when you were younger there is no better time than now to get started, do not let time get away from you to learn about the land.

4. I think you did a really good job discussing what it would look like in your classroom. The point you make about learning from your students and alongside with them is important and a great way to teach the students. Also I enjoyed how you were able to bring music into your post. Music is one thing that is present throughout most cultures and sounds like a really great way to engage the students. Great post!