Digital Literacy & Effective Teaching for Navigating Misinformation

Digital Literacy & Citizenship - Mount Douglas Library

Literacy is defined as the ability to read and write, but further is defined as the possession of knowledge or competence in a specified area. When discussing digital literacy, we examine learning that involves the digital world. The NCTE framework outlines an approach to teaching and targeting digital literacy in the classroom. The website provides eight elements to its framework, including: 

1. Participate effectively and critically in a networked world
  2. Explore and engage critically, thoughtfully, and across a wide variety of inclusive texts and tools/modalities
  3. Consume, curate, and create actively across contexts
  4. Build intentional global and cross-cultural connections and relationships with others so to pose and solve problems collaboratively and strengthen independent thought
  5. Promote culturally sustaining communication and recognize the bias and privilege present in the interactions
  6. Examine the rights, responsibilities, and ethical implications of the use and creation of information
  7. Determine how and to what extent texts and tools amplify one’s own and others’ narratives as well as counter unproductive narratives
  8. Recognize and honour the multilingual literacy identities and cultural experiences individuals bring to learning environments and provide opportunities to promote, amplify, and encourage these different variations of language (dialect, jargon, register)

Each of these competencies connects to what it means to be digitally literate. Similarly, how the Saskatchewan curriculum outlines outcomes and specific learnings to become literate in each subject area, I would use the NTCE’s framework as supplementary outcomes of sorts when teaching digital literacy. A handful of outcomes or indicators in the Secondary English curriculums look at deciphering fact from fiction, finding appropriate resources and understanding propaganda. As I discussed in my last post, “Digital Identity in a Social Media Society,” our social and digital worlds are becoming one. Most students are growing up online, and teachers have to find ways to involve teachings of digital citizenship in their classrooms simply because the curriculums have not caught up yet to the scale of multimodal and media influence that occurs in today’s classrooms. I was drawn to these three selected resources for different reasons and applications they can serve in the classroom.

First, Claire Wardle’s article “Fake News. It’s Complicated.” proved the complexity of misinformation while also providing an approach to debunk it. Wardle’s provided chart is a great visual that students could actively use to categorize news they encounter after reading and understanding each of the terms (propaganda, parody, profit, etc.).

I believe a jigsaw activity would be beneficial for students to explore each of the elements of the “misinformation matrix” while enhancing their understanding of the true complexity of fake news. (Pertains to frameworks #1, 5 & 7 of NCTE)

Pin on Net nežinau

Further, the digital comic You’re Not Going To Believe What I am About to Tell You provides an excellent example of our mental processes of accepting or dismissing news in contrast to our values, beliefs or prior knowledge. I would use this as a mentor text in my classroom and have students create their own collection of “easy-to-digest” fake facts and more “against-the-grain” fake facts. Then maybe include a reflection piece of writing on their process. 

I recommend Book Creator, StoryBoard or Canva for the student’s comic creation! (Pertains to frameworks #2, 3 & 6 of NCTE)

Additionally, this resource from EdCan, “How Do We Teach Students To Identify Fake News?” provides strategies that can be used in the classroom to assist students in becoming critical readers of the world and digitally safe and literate. I was drawn to the strategy of using real-world fake news examples to teach students because that is how I have taught myself about fake news and digital citizenship.  

When approaching digital literacy, it is crucial NOT to teach it through isolated lessons. Digital literacy must be taught integratively into our biology, history and business classes because technology and media work in all walks of our life!

Teachers therefore play a crucial role in ensuring that their students develop the skills to decipher the many streams of information available to them.

EdCan: Teaching students to identify fake news