Growing Up on the Internet

This week I was able to put my “internet creeping” to work and find everything I possible could about a pal in my #EDTC300 class. Well, this shouldn’t be a huge challenge as my class pal grew up on the internet.

I read the article, Year 20: Growing Up on the Internet , which discussed the difference in generations using the internet, what timelines we were fully consumed by social media sites, social media stressors, and depression, anxiety and stress brought on by…you got it, the internet. The article includes a self-reflective love letter to self how one’s relationship with the internet. Read below for some quotes that really stand out to me.

“The social media stressors are caused by using wanting to remain interconnected but unsure of how to live genuinely and authentically as our lives always on broadcast for many to see and judge.”

“You’re going to be okay.”

“Limit yourself to the dangers you expose yourself to. Do not leave yourself open to this harassment — block these girls because outta sight, outta mind right? Or if you can’t block them, kill them with kindness.”

It is clear that the year in which you were born and how much of your life is accessible on the internet go hand in hand. “You are often considered a “Millennial” (if you’re born between ‘95–’99) but in fact you’re apart of “Generation Z”. You’re able to remember how slow Windows XP was and the massive space a desktop computer took but can’t complain about having dial up Internet as our formative years were apart of the first generation to have grown up completely on the Internet.” (Retrieved from article linked above).

When cyber creeping my pal from #EDTC300,  I was able to find a private Instagram account, a fairly private Facebook account (I could access some photos and “about” information), an awesome professional teaching blog, and an open Twitter account that they are very active on and a lot of local news reports on their athletic successes. When I search my pal on Facebook her profile/name (pronoun preference listed on one of her social sites) was linked to many family and friend’s accounts which I was able to get some more information on who they are/connected to!

Education/Professional: Past student of Vanier Collegiate in Moose Jaw, SK. Currently enrolled in her second year at the University of Regina, currently  enrolled in the Secondary Education program with a major in math and a minor in social studies in the BEd program.

Personal: athlete (soccer and track and field), interested in social justice and advocacy, has 9 siblings and 3 parents, and self proclaimed adventurer!

Overall: Her online presence is captivating! Growing up on the internet has captured events, artifacts, and their learning journey. I think she has a great understanding of what she is putting onto the internet and what comes up when searching for her. Her digital footprint will be such a stepping stone for future educational interviews and professional connections.

To respect the #EDTC300 student’s privacy, I have not linked to any profiles, captured screen shots/artifacts, or disclosed her name. 

This entry was posted in EDTC300. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Growing Up on the Internet

1. Jordan Puscus says:

Hey Deanna, great reflection on the differences between generations, and students in our class. I find it interesting being back in post-secondary education as a 30+ old with people in their early 20’s. Although it’s not a dramatic difference, our experience of technology and the internet is unique. I do recall dial up internet, as well as the creation of Facebook, and even learning typing in elementary school (I don’t think they work on this anymore, but they should!!). Overall, I think these differences in when we were born is much more impactful on our social media presence and the way we view these worlds as shown by your quotes and the article you referenced.

• Deanna Gallipeau says:

Thanks for the comment, Jordan. I definitely believe each generation has such a unique connection with technology and the internet. I am very grateful that I was able to establish my perception of self before the crippling times of social media.