Day: May 27, 2024

Learning my First Trick

Now that I feel a little bit more confident with cards in my hands I wanted to begin learning some tricks. It was more goal from the start to try and learn one trick a week and by the end have a full arsenal of some magic tricks remembered and mastered! After learning how to handle the cards in a little bit more of an appealing way to the viewer I wanted to find a trick that I could show of some of the techniques I had learned about.

I decided to go to TikTok to try and find a trick to learn. As I mentioned before I already had some videos saved on my account before this assignment so I thought I would look through some of those first and that way I could get to the learning stage a little quicker. I ended up stumbling across a video from Ash Marlow who is someone I have saved numerous videos from.

Marlow did not have a name for this trick, but the trick is finding a card that the viewer choses and then mixed around in the deck. The deck is shuffled, and cards are even mixed upside down. After all the mixing the deck magically appears all upright and the only card flipped over is the viewer’s card. Here is a demonstration of the trick I learned with my mom:

The thing I love about Ash Marlow’s videos is he demonstrates the trick fully through before walking through it step by step with you. Learning from a video allows me to stop it and go back as much as I need rather than asking someone who is showing you a trick to keep repeating steps. This allowed me to work on certain steps that I found more difficult.

Reflecting on the learning process has been crucial when learning card magic. It is important for me to realize what works and what does not work. When looking for tricks I have to make sure I am not reaching too far that makes it too hard for me to learn and gets me disengaged with my learning assignment. I try and find things that intrigue me but are also attainable. I found learning this week from a TikTok video was pretty similar to learning from a YouTube video as I used the option of being able to pause and go back numerous times. I also enjoy being able to try and copycat what I am seeing on my screen. The hard thing with learning this way is it is tough to ask questions to the person directly, although I have had some of my questions answered with other viewers of the video. When learning this trick, I was able to use the skills of last week with overhand shuffling and dribbling the cards. Being more comfortable because of last week’s work allowed me to learn and execute this trick a little easier. I was also able to use manipulation of the cards because they felt more comfortable in my hands. If you are curious to how this was done and where I learned through step by step here is the tutorial from Ash Marlow.

@ashmarlow52

Learn the Best Card Trick (Tutorial) 😮 People Will Freak Out #cardtricktutorial #tutorial #learnmagic #simpletricks #learnfromme

♬ A Day in My Life – Soft boy

Reflecting Upon Our Changed World

The digital age has brought about a seismic shift in the way we interact, learn, and participate in the world around us. Michael Wesch, in his thought-provoking lecture and blog post, highlights the transformative impact of digital media on our culture and education. Wesch’s insights are particularly relevant for educators who must navigate this new landscape to create engaging and meaningful learning experiences. Reflecting on Wesch’s ideas and the broader implications of a networked, participatory digital world, we can envision a future classroom that embraces these changes, rethinks traditional schooling,

Michael Wesch

and balances the challenges and opportunities presented by digital technology.

The Changing World and New Culture of Participation

Wesch describes a world where information is no longer scarce but overwhelmingly abundant, and where participation in knowledge creation is democratized. The rise of digital platforms like YouTube, as exemplified in the video “The Machine is Us/ing Us,” illustrates how individuals can easily create, share, and collaborate on content. This participatory culture contrasts sharply with the traditional, top-down dissemination of information that characterized the pre-digital era. In this new culture, learners are not passive recipients of knowledge but active participants. They contribute to discussions, create content, and collaborate with peers across the globe. This shift from consumption to participation has profound implications for education. It calls for a reevaluation of teaching methods, curricular design, and the role of educators.

Implications for My Future Classroom

In my future classroom, embracing the principles of participatory culture will be crucial. Here are several ways this can be achieved:

• Collaborative Learning: Encouraging collaboration among students can foster a sense of community and enhance learning outcomes. Group projects, peer reviews, and collaborative problem-solving tasks can leverage the collective intelligence of the class.
  • Digital Literacy: It will be essential to equip students with the skills to navigate, evaluate, and create digital content. This includes critical thinking skills to assess the credibility of information, as well as technical skills to use digital tools effectively.
  • Student-Centered Learning: Adopting a student-centered approach can help personalize learning experiences. By allowing students to pursue their interests and explore topics in depth, we can foster intrinsic motivation and deeper engagement.
  • Interactive and Multimedia Content: Integrating multimedia resources and interactive content can make learning more engaging. Videos, podcasts, and interactive simulations can cater to diverse learning styles and make complex concepts more accessible.
  • Global Connections: Facilitating connections with learners and experts worldwide can provide students with diverse perspectives and opportunities for authentic learning experiences. Virtual exchanges, online discussions, and collaborative projects with students from other countries can broaden their horizons.
cell phone, education, classroom

Photo by giovannacco on Pixabay

Implications for Schools in General

The broader educational landscape must also adapt to this new reality. Schools need to reconsider their structures, policies, and practices to align with the demands of a digital, participatory world.

• Flexible Learning Environments: Traditional classroom settings may need to evolve into more flexible, technology-rich environments that support various learning activities. This could include spaces for collaboration, quiet zones for individual work, and areas equipped with digital tools.
  • Curriculum Redesign: Curricula should be updated to include digital literacy, media studies, and project-based learning. Emphasizing interdisciplinary approaches can help students make connections between different subjects and apply their knowledge in real-world contexts.
  • Professional Development for Educators: Teachers must be equipped with the skills and knowledge to integrate digital tools and participatory practices into their teaching. Continuous professional development and support systems can help educators stay current with technological advancements and pedagogical strategies.
  • Assessment and Evaluation: Traditional assessment methods may not fully capture the skills and competencies needed in the digital age. Schools should explore alternative assessment strategies, such as portfolios, project-based assessments, and peer evaluations, that reflect students’ abilities to collaborate, create, and think critically.

Rethinking Schooling and Education

To rethink schooling and education in our networked, participatory, and digital world, we need a paradigm shift that emphasizes lifelong learning, adaptability, and connectivity. Here are some key considerations:

• Lifelong Learning: Education should not be confined to the early years of life but seen as a continuous process. Schools should instill a love for learning and provide students with the skills to pursue knowledge independently throughout their lives.
  • Adaptive Learning Technologies: Leveraging adaptive learning technologies can provide personalized learning experiences that cater to individual student needs. These technologies can help identify learning gaps, suggest resources, and track progress in real-time.
  • Community and Industry Partnerships: Schools should build partnerships with community organizations, businesses, and higher education institutions to provide students with real-world learning opportunities. Internships, mentorship programs, and collaborative projects can bridge the gap between education and the workforce.
  • Emphasis on Soft Skills: In addition to academic knowledge, schools should emphasize the development of soft skills such as communication, collaboration, creativity, and problem-solving. These skills are crucial for success in a rapidly changing, interconnected world.
think, switch, rethinking

Photo by geralt on Pixabay

Balancing Challenges and Possibilities

The digital revolution presents both challenges and opportunities. To balance these effectively, schools must adopt a proactive and thoughtful approach:

• Digital Wellbeing: Addressing issues related to digital wellbeing, such as screen time, cyberbullying, and digital addiction, is essential. Schools should promote healthy digital habits and provide support for students to navigate the online world safely.
  • Equity and Access: Ensuring all students have access to digital tools and resources is critical. This includes addressing the digital divide by providing devices and internet access to underserved communities.
  • Ethical Use of Technology: Educators should teach students about the ethical implications of technology use, including data privacy, intellectual property, and the impact of digital footprints. Promoting responsible digital citizenship is key.
  • Continuous Innovation: The rapid pace of technological change requires schools to be agile and open to continuous innovation. This means regularly reviewing and updating policies, practices, and technologies to stay relevant and effective.

In conclusion, the new culture of participation and the digital age offer exciting possibilities for transforming education. By embracing these changes and addressing the associated challenges, we can create learning environments that are engaging, inclusive, and effective in preparing students for the future. As educators, it is our responsibility to harness the power of digital tools and participatory practices to enhance learning and foster a culture of curiosity, collaboration, and lifelong learning.

© 2024 Dylan McCabe