About

I am a Ph.D. Candidate in Education (Curriculum and Instruction) at the University of Regina. I’ve spent the last 10 years of my life working as an instructor, teacher trainer, and researcher. My main research interests include Educational Technology, Methodology and Testing, Storytelling, and Teacher Education. I finished my B.A. in the field of English Language Translation at the University of Zanjan. After I passed some courses related to teaching English, I decided to change my major to focus more on teaching English; and ever since I have been devoting my education and work to this field. I never regret my decision to change my major and study Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL), because it was a perfect way to apply my teaching abilities and creativity. It is worth mentioning that, in my Undergraduate Studies in English Language Translation at the University of Zanjan, I was among the best 3 in the class of 30.

Since 2012, I have been teaching English to different age groups and at various levels of proficiency. Meanwhile, I started my M.A. in TEFL at the University of Zanjan. I was outstanding at academic courses, teaching English, and related research. My academic research resulted in eight high-quality articles and one book chapter. I also won the first rank among M.A. students of TEFL.

Achievements can’t quench my thirst for self-improvement. I also took part in different workshops and received different certificates like CELTA, TESOL, DELTA, etc. I eagerly like to acquire the depth of knowledge and sophistication of methodology to attain a superior level of expertise in teaching English. During these times, I begin to feel my need for self-development in teaching English are not being satisfied because of the lack of necessary latest equipment, resources, and facilities available for research and development in this field.

Teaching is an art and several factors should be taken into consideration, including the students, classroom atmosphere, the teaching approaches, evaluation methods, cultural factors, and so on. When I was an English teacher in my country, I had students from many different places in the world who could not participate in class since they could not speak English well. As an ESL teacher, I did my best to overcome this problem and create a situation where each student can actively participate in the course. I would say I am quite comfortable with technology because I believe using technology enhances students learning in the classroom and encourage them to participate more. As an ESL/EFL teacher, I used Google Classroom daily to post all activities and assignments. Moreover, during the pandemic days, Zoom, Skype, and Google meet were the platforms to teach and support our students.

EC & I 830 is my first course during my Ph.D. studies. It is also my first course in digital and online learning spaces. I am so excited to participate in this class and learn more about educational technology issues.

I look forward to learning from you all this semester.

Rokhsareh Kakvand

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to About

1. Hi, this is a comment.
    To get started with moderating, editing, and deleting comments, please visit the Comments screen in the dashboard.
    Commenter avatars come from Gravatar.