Writing the Self #1: No Definition

In Period 3, history 30 I started crying. My teacher had no idea why I was crying, but he knew I had a flair for the dramatic and would explain myself in a heartbeat. So he asked why I was crying. I was happy to share my feelings with the entire class as I needed answers. What led up to this? It was a simple in-class reading. Four or five paragraphs that describe what the Canadian Identity is. Simple. But the reading upset me in a strange way. The reading describing the Canadian identity had no clue what the Canadian identity was. It used the example of the Canadian identity being the ‘not’ identity. A Canadian isn’t an American. This had me in tears of both dramatic flair and a slightly identity crisis that was starting to take its toll on me.

I basically told my class “I have always identified myself as a Canadian, and as a Canadian who is not an American. This reading called my bluff and told me that that is not a real identity. Comparing yourself to another person does not develop an identity, and yet so much of my identity of being Canadian was about comparing myself to the actions of non-Canadians.” I had stopped crying at this point, but my eyes were still wet and ready for another round of identity crisis related tears. Some of my classmates agreed with me, while others mentioned that they were first generation Canadians so they had a lot of their culture from their parents’ home country to sink their teeth into, so they identified Canadian culture and identity in a completely different way from me. I appreciated my classmates’ feedback but it didn’t help me define what my personal “Canadian” identity is. 

And so I sat there in the front row of a morning class with tears in my eyes looking for an answer to my crisis from my teacher. A wise old man to guide me on this journey of identity. He just looked at me, and like a confused Grandpa, laughed and agreed with what everyone had said and moved on. 

One thought on “Writing the Self #1: No Definition

1. Thank you so much for sharing your experience with the emotion surrounding a topic that I think many of us have struggled with at some point. I know I really struggle even now to identify what it means to be Canadian so I definitely related to your confusion. Including more descriptive language and sharing and maybe more detail about the thoughts and feelings that not knowing evoked would really help to draw the reader in even more. The ending for me also struck a chord, with you looking to your teacher for some piece of wisdom or advice and how crushing it must have been for him to so easily disregard what you were sharing. I find myself wondering if you ever were able to develop an idea of what being Canadian means to you. I hope you were!