I Majorly Need to Work on my Major Project

Actually, I have been plugging away at it pretty steadily, but I still feel a little behind. I think that is just a reality of working full-time and going to school full-time.

I dove in to Flipgrid by doing a project for another class I’m taking; two birds, one stone. My group and I needed to create activities for the other class groups. We used the website to write out scenarios that they needed to respond to as a group with a video. It went well, and we were able to make separate activities for each group, all within the same activity. I made an instructional video as an introduction to the activities for all groups to watch. Some disadvantages I noticed was that the groups, being in separate areas, could not make one video with all of them in it. Some groups worked around this by videoing their zoom call and adding their answer in this way. So, maybe not the best tool for group work, but definitely great for individual. I look forward to exploring the rest of the site, including how to become a Certified Educator. I have yet to introduce it to my students, but have just finished a book study with them and will use it as a platform for their final project.

TikTok, TikTok, TikTok. I just can’t get into it! It feels like a massive waste of time, which is kinda the point I suppose. Instead of making videos, which I can’t seem to bring myself to do, I have been investigating their terms, conditions, and policies. So far, what I have been reading has really contradicted what my teenagers have been telling me about the app – they have been indispensable throughout my TikTok journey, providing me inside information into the app that only someone who is completely obsessed and uses it for hours throughout the day could do. If you are researching TikTok and don’t have a teenager, I suggest you get one.

My journey will continue. I will continue to feel behind in my work, will start using Flipgrid with my students, and who knows, maybe I’ll make a TikTok video.

2 thoughts on “I Majorly Need to Work on my Major Project

1. I think it’s a common feeling lately for teachers (and others too) to feel behind in whatever we’re doing. With all of the plates we are trying to balance, it can be tiring and overwhelming and make us feel unsatisfactory about our progress. Know that you’re doing a good job, and keep on keeping on. Progress looks different for everyone and everything we do. Sometimes little steps are just as important as big leaps.

2. Glad you are using Flipgrid in the classroom! Many opportunities there! I took ECI833 with Alec last semester and we looked at social media in great detail. I even had students using Twitter and Instagram to do a novel study culminating “scrapbook” activity. Lots of cool things you can do, if the trust is there! TikTok is its own beast… and that is how my partner and I did our Summary of Learning… with TikTok videos lol.
    I also feel like I am behind in the amount of stuff I would have liked to have completed by now in the semester. SO many things going on. You are not alone!!