Understanding Equate

Being weak in mathematics, I have always been searching for an app that can help me in doing calculations. In my first blog post about my major project, I mentioned that I have needed this kind of application in my life. And today it has been almost three months since I have been using this amazing app EQUATE… This app provides its users access to over 400 common formulas in Math, Physics, Chemistry and Economics. Through this blog, I am trying to share my knowledge of the privacy policies that are written on this application’s website https://equateapp.com/

Being a new user, the website is very interesting. They have mentioned the features of this app. They have not used any complex design or language. It is just an easy-to-use website and through this, you will be able to understand it well. Next, is the application which is available on android, apple and is free of cost. I really like the reason they mentioned for keeping this app free i.e. “We’ve made Equate free because we believe education should be accessible and affordable for everyone.”

They require a user’s email address, full name, cookies and usage data. The usage data includes the computer’s internet protocol (IP) address, browser type, browser version, the pages of our Service that you visit, the time and date of your visit, the time spent on those pages, unique device identifiers and other diagnostic data. After reading this, I came to know these applications can track everything related to our browser, even date and time… that’s surprising for me…. Cookies are sent to your browser from a website and stored on your device. Tracking technologies also used are beacons, tags, and scripts to collect and track information and to improve and analyze service. The app developer wrote that we as users can also refuse all cookies but that will not allow us to use some of their services. This application is developed in Canada, so they have mentioned that the data will be transferred to Canada and will be stored here only.

Their Privacy policy indicates that Equate App may disclose your Personal Data in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to:

• To comply with a legal obligation
  • To protect and defend the rights or property of Equate App
  • To prevent or investigate possible wrongdoing in connection with the Service
  • To protect the personal safety of users of the Service or the public
  • To protect against legal liability

Concerning the security of data, they illustrated the fact that I have also studied in this course is that “no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage is 100% secure.” In addition to this, they wrote that they are using commercial means to protect data but they cannot guarantee 100% of security to their users.

As it is an educational application, so we know that it will be used by children. Therefore, in reference to children’s privacy, they do not allow children under 18 to use this application without parents/guardians’ consent. For this, they wrote that “We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from anyone under the age of 18. If you are a parent or guardian and you are aware that your Children have provided us with Personal Data, please contact us. If we become aware that we have collected Personal Data from children without verification of parental consent, we take steps to remove that information from our servers.”

Lastly, they state that they do update their policies from time to time which will we notified to the members via email. Also, we can check on the privacy and policy page of the website. Further for any other queries, we can also contact them at hello@nurdture.com.