About Me

Hello and welcome to my e-portfolio! My name is Ellie Holgate and I am a third year pre-intern at the University of Regina. I am studying Elementary Education, with the hope of one day teaching grades two or three. I was born and raised in Regina, Saskatchewan, and I hope to one day teach at an elementary school in Regina. 

I am currently pre-interning in a grade five classroom at Sacred Heart Community School in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan. This experience has been eye-opening for me because my cooperating teacher has taught me about the significance that a teacher can have on a student’s life. My cooperating teacher has created safe and trustworthy relationships with each one of her students, which has resulted in the classroom becoming a supportive learning environment for all the students. The grade five students look forward to coming to school each day because they know that they can be their authentic selves in the classroom, without fear of shame or judgment. My cooperating teacher has become a role model for me because she has made her classroom a safe learning environment for all her students. 

I want to become a teacher because I want to make a difference in students’ lives. I want to create an inclusive classroom, where students feel represented and supported in their learning environment. I want all of my students to know that they are valued, appreciated, and respected by both myself and their fellow classmates. I want my future students to look forward to coming to school each day because they are excited to learn in a supportive environment. I want to provide each one of my students with the opportunity to succeed in their academics by teaching to students strengths.