"To teach is to touch a life forever"

Keeping Tabs on Tablature

Throughout this semester, I have realized that songs are often written using ukulele tablature. So far, I have been learning songs and different patterns from videos as I was unable to read tablature. As I mentioned in one of my initial learning project posts, I am able to read standard notation with a bit of a refresher. This week, I decided it was time to become more familiar with it! With ukulele tablature, the lines represent the strings. Then, on the line, there will be a number. This number represents the fret that should be played. For example, if a line says 0, then no frets should be pressed. However, if the line says another number, then the corresponding fret should be pressed. 

Here is a video of me demonstrating: Learning Ukulele Tablature

I played all of the strings open first, so none of my fingers were pressed on the frets. Then, I played the first fret on the first string with the rest open, then the second fret on the second string with the rest open, and then the third fret on the third string with the rest open. I finished by playing the second fret on the first string. 

I found my information here: Ukulele Magazine. This was a very informative website! It describes what tablature is, as well as how it should be used simultaneously with standard notation. I only looked through the tablature section, but there are multiple different sections on chord diagrams, capos, time signatures, etc. This would be a good website to bookmark to look back on for the other information!

As well as previously being unable to understand ukulele tablature, I am unable to read chord sheet music. That is something to discover in another week coming up!

1 Comment

1. Meghan LeCuyer

I admire anyone you can play a musical instrument! Great job!