Relearning the Alphabet

This week, I started using the app Lingvano. I really liked how it was laid out, and the first lessons were very simple. However, pretty soon after I started learning with it, I found out that I had to pay to continue learning. And, although I’m pretty invested in learning ASL, I’m not that invested.

(Click here to watch a video of me signing “hello” and “welcome,” words I learned from Lingvano.)

So, I moved on. The app InterSign ASL seemed like a good second choice. I started working on things there and learned the letters, A, B, D, E, F, J, K, L, O, P, S, T, N, X, and Y.

loading slideshow...

• Letter "A"

• Letter "B"

• Letter "D"

• Letter "L"

• Letter "Y"

• Letter "O"

I can now finger-spell short words, like “ball,” “fox,” “box,” “plate,” or “stand.” I still have a very limited knowledge of ASL, and it takes me a while to think about the shape of each letter before I can successfully make it or identify it.

It’s been really interesting so far, having to relearn the alphabet. It’s a strange feeling to be struggling so much to spell. My hands are a bit slower than my head is.

The homepage of the InterSign ASL app.

I really enjoy the way the InterSign ASL app is laid out. The most fun thing for me so far has been that after I learn a new set of letters on InterSign ASL, it shows a video of someone spelling a word using those letters and I have to type out the word. Identifying the letters individually in order to spell a word just feels rewarding when I finally figure it out.

I think I will continue using this app alongside the other things I try. I’ll definitely be trying YouTube videos next, but after that, I’m not sure what to do. Do you have a suggestion?