“Cyber Safety” and why it failed me

How to use technology was taught to me in various, but entirely unhelpful ways throughout my growing-up years.

AI, Machine learning, Hands of robot and human touching on big data network connection background, Science and artificial intelligence technology, innovation and futuristic.

My parent’s approach to the matter was something along the lines of: “scare the kids off the internet and they’ll be safe.” (Cyber Safety 101, woohoo.)

When put that way, clearly this wasn’t a very helpful thing. One has to understand, of course, that my parents only wanted the best for me. They were using the only approach they knew how. They themselves had been scared off the internet – we humans are interesting creatures that fear what we don’t understand.

I did learn at least one helpful thing from my parents. Despite the fact that scaring children off the internet a) doesn’t work and b) isn’t a helpful approach, a general sense of caution around technology and the internet was a good thing engrained in me by my parents.

Kids use the internet all the time. I did. And they know more about it than their parents. I did. But just because kids know a lot about the internet doesn’t mean they know how to use it safely. Because of this, that general sense of caution was really helpful.

Hacker in data security concept. Hacker using laptop. Hacking the Internet. Cyber attack.

In school, we were taught about cyberbullying and what to do if it happened to us. We used our computer lab a lot, spending a lot of time on the Internet for research and projects. We also spent a lot of time on the school laptops and iPads. Whether we were making presentations, doing Kahoots, writing assignments, or playing CoolMathGames – we were learning how to use the technology in an academic context, but not necessarily how to use it safely or how to use it in our personal lives.

I did most of my real learning about technology use on my own. I learned things from experience (prime example: once, going into grade 9, I lost all of the data on my laptop because it got hacked).

The older I got, the more I stayed away from new things. I didn’t want to keep up with all of the new developments in technology. What I had was working for me, and that was good enough.

I still hold as close to that as I can. Of course, what is required of me in terms of technology use is changing almost as much as the technology is. I find myself continuously multiple steps behind, but not far enough to be left behind by the younger generation. My aim is that it stays this way for my own personal technology use.

Multiethnic school kids using computer in classroom at elementary school.Interracial primary classroom learning to use laptop

I think the best approach for teachers would be to openly discuss new technology and social media that their students are using. They should include a section in (maybe) health class about safe technology use. Ribble’s Nine Elements of digital citizenship are a great start.

One thought on ““Cyber Safety” and why it failed me

1. School wise I was taught about Cyber security much of the same way. Luckily at home I had a great relationship with my parents and they were able to have a good conversation about technology or at least they understood about it. For families that maybe do not have these strong lines of communication or the knowledge to speak on these issues I worry for what will happen if the education system pushes the task on to the parents as it seems it may have done with our generation.
    I agree with you saying that health class should have a curricular outcome reflecting technology as that is beginning to be a major part in our students lives.