It’s Almost Like “Lord of the Flies”…

You’re probably wondering: What does a gruesome book about boys stranded on an island building their own society have to do with this week’s blog post topic about the internet?

I’ll get there. For now, just hang on.

(Click here to refresh your memory about Lord of the Flies.)

Let me start by saying this: I agree that there are positive aspects to social media, as the YouTube video we were watching for class also suggests.

The classic example is the Numa Numa dance guy (2:00 minutes into the video). He uploaded a video of himself dancing to the song in front of his webcam, and many, many people from all over the world quickly joined in on the fun, sharing their joy with the world.

Social media, at its best, can promote solidarity and togetherness. It can create a way in which people who may not even know each other can work together and campaign for causes close to their hearts. It can be a place where people can reflect on their identities, freely and creatively represent themselves, and make a mark for the world around them to see. There are so many ways technology can be used for good purposes, and the video seems to reflect this.

However, the video also seemed to suggest the early stages of an evident theme in our culture today: people are relying on social media for a kind of fulfillment which is supposed to come from human-to-human relationships.

Think about it. Social media influencers are becoming important role models for teens. People across gaming and chatting platforms are becoming closer friends to teens than the community of people around them. The range of porn on the internet offers some strange counterfeit version of sexual intimacy. Students turn to the internet to ask difficult questions before they would to any adult in their lives. I could go on.

The algorithm is tailored to each individual person – why would they resort to an old-fashioned friendship with a real person where their views, thoughts, or interests could be challenged?

My point is this: People are actually starting to replace their face-to-face relationships with attractive but counterfeit relationships with social media, and this is causing a number of other problems.

As social media consumption has risen, so have the rates of depression, anxiety, and loneliness.

“[M]ultiple studies have found a strong link between heavy social media and an increased risk for depression, anxiety, loneliness, self-harm, and even suicidal thoughts.”

– A HelpGuide.org article about Social Media and Mental Health.

And yet, the pull of this social media is inescapably strong. To quote Jerico Sampang’s blog post for this week titled, “Welcome to the Internet”:

“There are only two industries of note that refer to their demographics as users: illicit drugs and social media platforms. Perhaps I am exaggerating, but the analogy is more than apt. The platforms and apps that we use today are designed to keep users on the platform for as long as possible. By showing users what they want to see, providing outlets for users to participate, and making it heavily accessible, social media platforms create a scenario where users find it difficult to leave.”

I think this is worth noting, especially for us as future educators. Because we are the first (and a half) generation to deal with these statistics, it’s up to us to change them and to equip the generations after us to thrive better than we did in an ever-changing technological landscape.

So, returning to the Lord of the Flies.

A group of boys is stranded on an island with no guidelines for survival. They begin to create their own societal structures in order to stay alive, but this quickly goes downhill and causes mistrust, hatred, destruction, and ultimately, death.

Now are you seeing it?

If you still aren’t, let me spell it out for you.

Social media networks, despite our best efforts, are a desert island. There are no guidelines for survival. The young people using social media platforms (and those “in charge” of these platforms) are beginning to create/have created their own societal structures in order to stay alive. Despite our best efforts, things are still going downhill and causing mistrust, hatred, destruction, and even, in some cases, death.

Am I exaggerating? I don’t know – you tell me.

Don’t get me wrong.

There is nothing wrong with the island.

Social media platforms themselves aren’t bad.

But we need real, strong, tangible guidelines for survival.

As future educators, it’s our responsibility to keep a reproduction of Lord of the Flies  on the internet from happening.

Bernice

2 thoughts on “It’s Almost Like “Lord of the Flies”…

1. Thank you for your post, Bernice!

I read the book “Lord of the Flies” when I was a young child. It portrayed the truth quite terrifyingly, demonstrating to me that we require adults and authority to maintain a community; otherwise, everything would descend into chaos, much like the experiences of those little boys.

You are absolutely right when you say, “As social media consumption has risen, so have the rates of depression, anxiety, and loneliness.” This is the flip side of the coin. I remember certain cases of individuals in Norway and other Scandinavian countries experiencing loneliness, expressing their emotions on the internet, and subsequently receiving visits from nearby strangers. There are both pros and cons to consider, and cyberbullying is another concerning issue. However, it’s a fact that technology is inevitable.

When I wrote my post, I was thinking of bell hooks, a pedagogue and the author of “Teaching to Transgress.” She emphasizes the importance of listening to children. This notion urges us to pay close attention to the perspectives and voices of young individuals, which can be a significant step in fostering a more inclusive and enlightened society.

Indeed, children want to be heard. The Internet is the new tool to be heard. It’s essential to listen to their thoughts, feelings, and concerns, as it not only validates their experiences but also helps foster better understanding and communication between generations. Yes, it is not face-to-face anymore. When children feel heard, it can have a positive impact on their self-esteem, development, and overall well-being. Of course, there are supposed to be some borders regarding using the internet. Schools, educators, and parents should educate them about using these technological tools.

When I was a teenager in the 1990s, it was almost impossible to talk in the classrooms because it could cause a mess or chaos! We were not allowed to share our opinions in order not to interrupt the lesson. This one was really oppressive. That is the reason we have low self-esteem and are not happy. Fortunately, education has evolved over the years to encourage more interactive and student-centered approaches, which can be more beneficial for fostering self-esteem and a love for learning. Goodbye to the Banking Model of Education! I was not happy at all.

Thank you for sharing your insight!

With warmest regards,
    Esin

2. I enjoyed reading your thoughts on the matter. I do not think you are exaggerating. I liked how you backed up your words with quotes and online sources. I couldn’t agree with you more. With social media kept in mind, I am afraid of what is going to become of our children who are going to be relying on social media platforms for socialization and interaction. Visiting a friend now a days is tough, why not just message them right? I have mixed feeling about everything and anything that has to do with a hard drive. Thanks for the read.