About me

My name is Shayne Barber and I aspire to be a high school teacher and counselor. I am in my first year of education, but my third year of university. I have two years of background in pre-social work so my educational approach is very open minded and progressive. I want to always be as accepting and inclusive as possible. I graduated high school in 2017 with honors having completed the French immersion program.

I’ve done a lot of community service in the past and have worked closely with Indigenous communities in the summers to help with the journey to reconciliation in Saskatchewan. The bulk of my community service took place at Souls Harbour Soup kitchen in Regina, SK. I used to volunteer twice a week in my first year of education. In the summers I work for Parks Canada. I’ve been directly involved in many steps towards reconciliation including the installation and raising of Indigenous reserve flags, setting up and planning cultural dances for the public, and I helped set up and organize with the Poundmaker exoneration in 2019 at Poundmaker Reserve, SK. These are just some of the experiences that have helped me in my journey to becoming an educator and on my personal journey of reconciliation.