EDTC 300,  Learning Project

Flooding and Outlining is more Difficult than it Seems!

For this week I choose to do my learning off of TikTok. I spend so much time on TikTok I thought it would be a good idea to use it for something useful. Below are two of the videos that I used that helped me along in outlining my cookies.

After scrolling through TikTok I found South Street Cookies, her videos seemed to be very education and I felt that they gave me an idea on how to approach the idea of flooding and outlining a cookie. When I started this I thought that this was not going to be as hard as it turned out to be.

@southstreetcookies

Have gravity help ya out when piping your outlines #tipsandtricks #cookiedecorating #cookietok #cookietips #cookietipsandtricks #royalicing #sugarcookie #sugarcookiemarketing #southstreetcookies

♬ Good Vibes (Instrumental) – Ellen Once Again

@southstreetcookies

Reply to @liv.hermione squiggly lines help prevent cratering #cookietok #royalicing #cookiedecorating #iowa #williamsburgia #southstreetcookies

♬ YouTube-like cute sound – RYOpianoforte

My attempts of outlining cookies began very, very poorly! My lines were shaky and not following the proper outline of the cookie, this was a very challenging task. After watching the video I learnt to try and let gravity help me to outline the cookies! Below is the practice that I have complete using the same shape. I chose to begin to use a heart because I did not think that it would be as hard as a circle or a shape with lots of detail.

These three picture were are placed in order of how I outlined them. The first outline you can see is very shaky and not straight. The lines at the bottom were a little more shaky and did not connect as they should. In the second picture my hand was less shaky and I was able to connect the lines together more accurate. However, I moved away from the edge of the cookie! The third cookie I was very happy with how it turned out! I feel like my lines were quite even and I was able to keep the lines close to the outline of the cookie!

Moving into flooding of the cookie posed more challenges for me. I tried many techniques to see what would work best for me. I used a method of holding the bag above the cookie and let the icing flow out like mentioned in Your Baking Bestie. I still struggled with having a few indents and not a smooth finish on my cookies!

Another thing that I practiced was adding lines into the cookie before flooding, this is used to create a puffy looking cookie and helping to make them full.

The circle cookie is the one that I flooding first, as you can see there are many indents and it is not a smooth finish at all. After a lot of practice the heart cookie is what the flooding looked like now.

Goals for Next Week 

Next week I want to continue outlining my cookies and continuing to make it look smooth and seamless. I also want to try to use a few different colours and see how I am able to use two different colours and see if I can make it look natural and seamless!

• Rowena Cuento

Hello Emily,

Your discovery of South Street Cookies’ videos sounds very interesting! It seems like it provided you with educational insights on flooding and outlining cookies. I’m eager to explore those techniques myself for future baking projects. Thanks again for sharing this resource! Your plan to work on those smooth outlines and playing with different colors sounds like a creative and fun challenge. I can’t wait to hear how it goes next week—maybe you’ll even discover some cool new techniques!