Technology is all around me

Technology is all around me

I just checked my weekly screen time, and it’s quite intriguing! On an average day, I spend about 2 hours and 53 minutes on my phone. Let’s break down how I use this time:

Eksisozluk: This is my favorite platform, a popular Turkish online dictionary and social hangout. I spend a total of 7 hours and 35 minutes there every week. Most of the time, you’ll find me reading news or sharing information, often writing about Greek culture. I should probably be appointed as a Greek ambassador!

Facebook: I’m on Facebook for about 5 hours and 11 minutes each week, where I sometimes catch up on series without a subscription.

Safari: When I need to look something up, I spend approximately 1 hour and 26 minutes a week using Safari.

WhatsApp: I like being in touch with my family. We use this app for our intercontinental communication. There was a time when we could only call each other once a week because of the cost. Following a brief conversation, we would hang up. Now we can even video call. How am I supposed to complain about the development of technology?

Google Map: I am still a foreigner in this city. I can explore the city with the help of maps.

As for my computer, it’s mainly for academic purposes, such as reading articles and newspapers. I make an effort to avoid using it for entertainment.

To keep myself organized and productive, I rely on some handy apps. I use sticky notes and jot down notes on my calendar, and these apps help me keep track of deadlines and work schedules efficiently.

Nevertheless, distractions can be a challenge. Certain websites and apps can easily consume my time and lower my productivity. To combat this, I establish specific work time blocks and mute my phone notifications.

Maintaining a healthy tech balance is crucial. Without boundaries, it’s easy to get carried away. So, I’ve set some rules to ensure I maintain a positive relationship with technology. I allocate specific times for work and leisure and make sure I stick to those schedules. Additionally, I take breaks, go for a walk, or engage in offline activities to keep everything in balance.

2 thoughts on “Technology is all around me

1. Now I feel concerned about my screen time after reading your blog. You do not have to worry, 3 hours and the apps you use are not a waste of your time. I think you are well organized and I can learn about how to moderate my screen time, I have never heard of Eksisozluk, sound like an interesting app. As an international student, WhatsApp is the app I use the most, to keep in touch with my family and friends, I donĀ“t know why people use Snapchat so much when WhatsApp has a lot more convenient tools.

2. Hey Esin, you do an excellent job emphasizing the importance of maintaining a balanced relationship with technology. While you may rely on technology for academic purposes and use productivity apps to stay organized, you also acknowledge the potential for distractions. To combat this, establishing work time blocks, muting phone notifications, and setting rules to ensure you maintain a positive tech balance seems to help you a ton, I may have to try some of these tactics as well. You recognize the need for boundaries to prevent technology from consuming your time and prioritize taking breaks and engaging in offline activities to maintain overall balance. This highlights commitment to using technology in a way that enhances productivity and well-being, great strides are being made!