Tips and Tricks : Navigating Beginner Drawing Challenges

I was keen to start this week’s learning project with beginner’s tips and simple drawing and coloring tutorials from 5 Minute Crafts. Initially, I chose to draw lips by looking at the video, thinking it would be a piece of cake. However, reality hit me like a ton of bricks, and these lips soon turned into incomprehensible circles on my paper. After trying three different lip drawings, I was disappointed and decided to take a step back. 5 second videos are not for me!

Not to be discouraged, I came across a tutorial on “Drawing Faces from the Side for Beginners.” Given my recent attempts at drawing faces from the front, I was intrigued by the prospect of learning a new angle. The instructor explained each step so clearly that I felt a renewed sense of determination. I believed that by following her guidance, I could improve my drawing skills and have more fun with my work, as she suggested.

Even with just pen and paper, the experience was surprisingly enjoyable. Reflecting on my learning project, I cannot help but appreciate the importance of patience and the willingness to explore different techniques. The initial setbacks with the lips were a stepping stone to a more comprehensive understanding of facial features. This journey has not only honed my artistic skills but also taught me the value of embracing challenges in the pursuit of creative development.

Have you noticed any differences?

One thought on “Tips and Tricks : Navigating Beginner Drawing Challenges

1. Hi Esin! I appreciated your vulnerability and honesty with this post. It is important to recognize that we sometimes need to take a step back before we can go forward. What this means to me is that sometimes we will make mistakes or even fail but these are critical aspects of learning. I love that you gave yourself grace and found something new that you could try instead of giving up and being frustrated about the lips not going your way. This is something we can take forward with us as we head into our teaching careers. Some lessons may not always go exactly the way we planned but we need to see it as a learning experience and move forward rather than dwelling and focusing on the bad outcomes.