Sketching Progress: Before Term’s End

Sketching Progress: Before Term’s End

Hello, peeps! I’m excited to share my drawing journey with you this week. I’ve been drawing for 8 weeks now, and let me tell you, starting with geometric shapes is a game-changer! I came across this amazing tutorial video by an art teacher from Canada. The idea is simple yet ingenious: start your drawings with basic shapes, especially if you are just stepping into the art world. It’s like a secret code to unlocking the mysteries of body proportions. If you’d like to check out this eye-opening tutorial, you can find it here:

Oh, and guess what? The Skillshare blog recommends the same. In one of their posts titled “21 Quick Drawing Tips to Improve Your Skills,” they offer some very valuable advice: don’t stress about being perfect right away. Embrace the journey, focus on practice, and watch your skills improve, and they are so right. For more nifty tips to up your drawing game, check out the Skillshare blog post here. We must remember that progress is the real MVP on the road to perfection!

And hey, scroll down to take a look at my latest sketch. I followed the instructor’s guidance on shapes, and believe me, I understand better with the geometric start. With the second one, I can draw without even looking at it. There is no need to be a perfectionist here for this start. First, we need to understand the proportions, and then the details really come.

2 thoughts on “Sketching Progress: Before Term’s End

1. Hey Esin,
    I have not seen your learning project for so long! I really like the the elephant by the way! Your lines look so much better since the first couple weeks! Also the shading looks so good! It looks like you have made lots of progress!

2. Hey! Kudos to you for sticking with it for 8 weeks! Progress is absolutely showing and it’s so true that embracing the journey is key. I loved the advice from the Skillshare blog too—focusing on practice is where the magic happens. Perfection can wait; it’s all about the joy of creating and improving.