My Sketching Journey Begins

My Sketching Journey Begins

Athens

Aristotle’s Metaphysics begins with the famous line, All men by nature desire to know.” When I first read this at the age of 20, I probably didn’t feel it in my heart. However, as I reflect on my learning journey, I believe he was absolutely right!!! By my very nature, I have an innate desire to get new knowledge, and the internet has always been there to help me discover something fascinating to learn.

When I first encountered the internet back in the 1990s, it was truly astounding to hear that we could access knowledge and connect with people from around the world with just one click. My friends and I used to dream that the internet was like an online encyclopedia without a cover or mail without the need for stamps. It felt like a vast library that never closed its doors. Over time, the internet has only grown richer in its ability to provide information, and now, with just one click, I can dive into learning about whatever piques my interest.

There are numerous outstanding research articles about lifelong learning and digital learning environments, such as the article “Education in Times of Fast Learning: The Future of the School” by Jan Masschelein & Maarten Simons, which you can find on Taylor & Francis Online. However, we now live in the era of artificial intelligence. AI not only makes it easier to access knowledge but also generates ready-made content for us. However, it is not necessary to conceive our desire for knowledge or our desire to learn something new. Fortunately, we have a wealth of online resources, from yoga training videos to tutoring videos, blogs, and apps, that allow us to enhance our skills and get new knowledge.

As I mentioned before in my first post, I have a desire to learn sketching, which I believe I can use in my role as a teacher and also find personal satisfaction in. I used to have a talent for copying sketches when I was a child, but I could never draw anything from scratch without a reference. Now, I realize that I need to learn the fundamentals of sketching before I can confidently create my own sketches.

To begin my journey into sketching, I first needed to understand what kind of supplies I would require. With the help of various websites, I googled “List of Essential Drawing Supplies for Beginners” and found the following items:

1. Sketch pad: I chose the smaller A3 size. I always have A4 papers at home for the printer. Why can’t I use them for sketching?
  2. Graphite pencils: I learned that pencils with different grades of hardness (H and B) offer different qualities for drawing.
  3. Sharpener: I chose a metal one for its durability. I don’t wanna break it at the beginning of my journey.
  4. Erasers: I discovered that kneaded or putty erasers are perfect for lifting charcoal dust without leaving residue on the paper.
  5. Blending stumps (tortillons): These tools allow for blending, smudging, darkening, and softening lines and colors. Oh, Lord! I had been using my fingers for blending as a child!
  6. Technical drawing pens: Maybe I can use them when I improve my skills.

Ta-da! Look at them! Aren’t they just adorable?

loading slideshow...

• Let's take a look at them up close <3

No more fingers for shading!

• Let's take a look at them up close <3

This pen tip is very thin!

• Let's take a look at them up close <3

B2, B4, B6

• Let's take a look at them up close.

Let's take a look at them up close <3

Teeny tiny putty eraser

• Let's take a look at them up close <3

Metallic Sharpener

• Let's take a look at them up close <3

My lovely sketch pad

With these supplies in hand, I’m ready to embark on my sketching journey, and I can’t wait to see where it takes me.

This first video I watched didn’t tell me how to hold it. So I will keep on searching for new resources to guide every single detail for a beginner.

These are my works. It seems I have to learn how to hold 2B graphite pencils.