Focus on the Opportunity

Can online social media activism be meaningful and worthwhile? Is it possible to have productive conversations about social justice online? What is our responsibility as educators to model active citizenship online?

Support the Commons
https://commonslibrary.org/wp-content/uploads/support.jpg

The questions posed to us this week can spark opinionated debate, passive conversation, or intellectual exchange. Every person has the choice and the right to choose how they take part in social activism. I for one do not feel comfortable getting wrapped up in conversations or debates online, especially if I do not know the other party or if I have not explored the topic to the depth of my comfort level. If participating in social media activism is a passion for someone, I do feel we can have productive conversations online and a positive media presence. Being an active, strong, positive digital citizen has to be modeled for others. We already see too much negative content and absolute trash out there, but this can be a teaching tool to ignite positive conversations in classrooms about creating a positive digital identity as children, teenagers, and adults. Educating our youth to be voices of change is very important, but I feel they need role models, platforms that are respected, and tools that can assist them in positive participation.

Social activism has many faces, and I found this model developed by Bill Moyer that breaks down 4 main types of social activism:

Diagram from Doing Democracy showing 4 roles of activists and the text that is included in this article.
https://commonslibrary.org/wp-content/uploads/MAP-4-Roles.png

So now in thinking back to all that I have learned in school and throughout my life, watching ‘active’ movements and campaigns, this role chart makes sense. I find it difficult at times, to see how these roles can translate to an online platform, but they do. In fact, I discover more of the ‘rebel’ online because it may be easier to oppose or display information to suit needs, without being out in the open. Hiding behind technology to place problems from a personal needs perspective into the spotlight is cowardly. Gaining online support for your cause is great, but then what? When you have too many opposing voices and no action taken, what is the point other than the ‘feeling’ like you are contributing to a cause?

https://commonslibrary.org/the-four-roles-of-social-activism/

One celebrity that I follow on Instagram is Amy Schumer. Her activism during the US election was unreal. I firmly believe that she made huge gains in some states with low voting turnouts, simply by providing information on who can vote, how to register, where to vote, and why. She was relentless on social media during the campaign, and her following was a mix of supporters and trash talkers. She continually maintained composure, up-to-date information, real time valuable voting information, contacts and names of people to call if you need assistance, and the list goes on. She is also an on-the-ground activist for many other causes. I find it fascinating to learn who choses to use their celebrity status for certain causes. She is definitely one who is an activist online, and walks the talk.

Amy Schumer and Emily Ratajkowski arrested in Kavanaugh protests LEAD
https://www.wmagazine.com/story/emily-ratajkowski-amy-schumer-arrested-protesting-kavanaugh-nomination

Currently, there is a great deal of pressure for companies and businesses to take a stand on issues and participate in social activism. In the article Genuine Social Media Activism: A Guide for Going Beyond the Hashtag , “Nearly two-thirds of consumers believe it’s important for companies to take a stand on social issues. And for many, taking a stand is just the start. Consumers increasingly want companies to act with purpose, and have been rewarding those that do with three times faster growth than their competitors”. In the article How brands that authentically lead with purpose are changing the nature of business today, it states that “the current trend based on our research shows that businesses are using purpose to create deeper connections with consumers, do more for the communities with which they work, attract and retain talent, and in the process, are achieving greater results and impact”.

For my final thoughts, I will focus on educators modeling active online citizenship. This can be tricky because we are held by certain standards and by our Code of Ethics to maintain professionalism at all times. We need to be careful in whom we address, debate with, and what we say. I guess this all depends on what we are advocating for. However, we have young inspiring minds who are with us each day, and youth activism gains strength with every generation of children becoming teenagers and young adults. “Schoolkids today are either a part of Generation Z (Gen Z), born from anywhere from 1997 to the early 2010s, or Generation Alpha (Gen A), which will include children with birth dates from the mid-2010s to the mid-2020s. Both generations have never known a world without the internet, and their early exposure to social media has allowed them to see role models their own age speaking up for important causes”. This excerpt from Educators are inspiring a new generation of social justice warriors, discusses what our future will look like for such a diverse Gen A, and our youth. The dedication to social justice is likely to continue as members of Gen A and younger Gen Z complete their education and reach the workforce, which means they will expect more, and they won’t be afraid to say it.  The article is definitely worth a read!

Children holding climate change signs
https://www.macleans.ca/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/MAC-FEATURE_SocialJustice-766×431.jpg

That’s all for now!