You had me at Merlot

But not really…I just thought it was a catchy title. I decided to check out this Open Education Resource, and give it a once over. This repository was not particularly appealing to me upon first glance. The main graphic design includes a merlot colour but it is clearly laid out with headings and subheadings. I was not sure where I needed to look first, but I decided to peruse the history of Merlot and how it is maintained and funded. I love the OER concept, but there has to be a generated income to sustain repositories and employees. I was determined to find this information.

I looked through each heading and a few sub-headings, but there were so many. I finally narrowed it down according to what I wanted to search and learn about. This is the home page:

As you can see not super attractive but full of information. The next is a bit of the history of Merlot, and from searching many places within it, it makes sense that it has been around for a long time given the wealth of information to sort through, including resources for pre-K children to adult learners.

It appears to be quite organized but I was finding myself looking for something that was not readily available. I think I was hoping for a huge icon that flashed, “Teacher Resources” right here! I soon realized that this site is more about sharing information and providing resources for people of all ages, than a site for people to find a quick idea or activity. I have read many interesting posts in our class about OER and the ever growing Teachers Pay Teachers site. I have been contemplating as to why I love TPT. I do not go there often, but if I am in need of a new idea or a way to re-create or revamp an old activity, I look on TPT. I decided to check out the website thoroughly so I could have something to compare the Merlot site with, besides one selling resources and the other sharing freely. This is the TPT blog that explains their philosophy and highlights current issues and certain activities.

teacherspayteachers

I can attest that many teachers spend countless hours creating attractive, interesting, curriculum aligned resources for a profit. What I have found and used, I could NOT create in the time that I have. The problem I have with the site, or with people using the TPT resources, is you need to vet them and make certain they align with our outcomes and indicators. I fear new teachers often use activities without thinking it through and assume that they must be approved resources to be on TPT. This is not true. TPT has had some trouble with resources that have been racist and contain certain bias’. Merlot has a team that vets the resources. This takes a HUGE amount of time and funding. You would think TPT could afford to do this!

Now in learning about how they fund Merlot, I found this interesing:

Below is another interesting tidbit… if you become a Merlot partner, you get some perks. Does anyone see any potential problems with this??

I found this article titled The Battle Between Teachers Pay Teachers and OERs – The Atlantic. It is worth the read!

So as I continued to drink the Merlot, I found that I definitely needed to narrow down some of my searches and use the filter option. I focused on Math. Our school division uses Mathletics and pays an enormous amount of money per school, and each user. I have a love/hate relationship with Mathletics. So I began my search for similar math resources that could challenge students in a similar way but without the cost. I found these resources and many are awesome activities, for all age groups!

When you click on each icon a wealth of activities shows up:

The difference with this OER and Mathletics is the data collection piece and real time methods of seeing who has completed the activities and the flexibility of assigning certain activities according to student levels and their progression of outcomes. The ease of using Mathletics is so attractive. However these are amazing resources too!

All in all, Merlot is good. There is so much more to explore on the site, including adult courses, journal articles, case studies, tutorials, social networking tools, and presentations. It is easy to sign up, pick and choose your pedagogical discipline and interests, and student age groups. I just wish it were a bit more up-to-date in its look and ease of use.

If anyone else checks it out, please let me know your thoughts!