Learning project tool / CANVA

For my learning project, I first tried most of the apps given in our courses. I was most attracted to Screencastify. I opened a new account for it, but I am not sure I found lots of things, or maybe I do not know how to use it. I have taken screenshots of it. 

After trying other apps, I liked Canva. I opened an account with my Gmail and took screenshots of it. The website is given below. I am using the free version for now.

https://www.canva.com/

I tried many YouTube videos. I have posted the video which I liked. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCEtWz5imUs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FN4Cu70b5Y

What I learned after opening Canva is that there are free templates to choose from for presentations. We can share files, and images and download or upload anything that we need for our presentation. For schools, we can select grades and teach the class. We can also create resumes. 

My learning project is K to grade 3. I would mostly focus on word spellings and sounds. Math lessons with simple math. 

As far as I learned about SAMR it is a Substitution, Augmentation, Modification, and Redefinition. I have just opened an account in Canva. I am not aware to play around so for the first step I would use it as a Substitution model to use the slides or templates already built in.

For the second step I would like to learn more i can add up stuff of my own which gives thinking templates like blanks or dashes in fill-in-the-blanks for English like c-t, d-g, or math addition or substratiions. This would be an augmentation project. 

For the third step, I would play around the English words or maths and use my own words or numbers which alignes with my presentation to get to one step higher with modification. 

Finally, I can also redefinition the presentation by asking students about their thoughts and feedback and also ask them what other creative things can be done in this presentation making them interact and enjoy. 

So we can use all the SAMR models in the Canva presentation. 

This entry was posted in EDTC300, Learning Project. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Learning project tool / CANVA

1. Kiera Brennan says:

Great post, Fathima! Glad you like Canva!

2. Olayemi Raji says:

Hi Fathima.
    I like how you analyze how we can make use of Canva in presentations and also in teaching and learning in elementary schools.

3. Rob Huber says:

Canva, is such an interesting resource. It is much less bland than a powerpoint project which is nice for keeping things interesting for students! Can’t wait to read more progress!

4. Morgan Huber says:

Hi Chutney! I love Canva—it’s by far one of my favourite resources. I love that the app has templates to follow, too! I am pretty sure that teachers also get free premium access, which is sweet!

5. Miranda Hammett says:

Hi Fathima! I LOVE CANVA! Oh my goodness, once I found it a few years ago my teacher life was changed forever! It is so wonderful for visuals, posters, worksheets, presentations, videos! You name it, Canva probably offers it. Such a wonderful tool that is relatively easy to use/learn! Not only is it useful for teachers with its classroom function it can be a really cool tool for students to develop presentations and complete assignments!

• Fathimunisa Farook says:

Hello Miranda,
      Thankyou for your comment. I am still learning as I am new to Canva. Think you have been using this. If I have any question like to chat with you in Discord.

6. Elyse Woodard says:

Hello Fathima! Canva is a great app to use. I tend to use this app for most of my school assignments and it has helped me significantly. I enjoyed all the new elements you can add to make is more aesthetically pleasing. Great job!
    -Elyse Woodard