Who am I?

October 1, 2020 0 By Sam Froude

Hello and welcome,

My name is Sam and I was born in the southern part of Saskatchewan known as Treaty 4. I completed all of my primary school in my birth town and knew I wanted to attend post-secondary school for something afterwards. In my grade 12 year I attended the University of Regina open house and applied for the BEd program, which I received on-the-spot acceptance. I was very excited, but also nervous. High school was challenging for me, therefore I assumed university had to be even more challenging. I often felt “dumb” in every high school class I took because I did not understand the content or expectations. Later on in life I got diagnosed with an intellectual disability, ADHD, which likely had an impact on my learning growing up. Do not get me wrong, post-secondary education has challenged me, made me cry and enabled me to lose many hours of sleep, however, it has also been my favourite part of my academic life. What I have learned is interesting, engaging and makes me excited to become a teacher. I did fairly well in education related classes because it was of my interest; it just came naturally. Maybe it came naturally to me because I had years of experience teaching my stuffed animal Webkinz 😉

A few things I love:

• Travelling 
  • Indigenous culture 
  • Mystery movies & shows 
  • Gardening 
  • Coconut cream pie 
  • Justin Bieber 
  • Cool fall days

I am currently the supervisor of a before and after school program with Kare 4 Kids in Regina. We run educational programs based inside Regina Public and Prairie Valley Schools. Our program consists of STEM activities, crafts, experiments, learning content, field trips and much more. Going to work is one of my favourite things to do <3

I aspire to become an elementary educator because I want to positively impact students and be the person they need in their life. Every student deserves to feel seen, valued and understood. Every student deserves to have a place that they feel comfortable and excited to come to each day. Students have always inspired me to become someone I want to be – they make everything worth it. Working with students seems to bring me the most happiness. My heart has a huge place for education and I am excited to pursue my dreams of being an educator and creating a positive impact.