Self Story #4: Dancing Differently

When I was 11 years old I started competitive dance. I’ve had never seen gender as a barrier for any reason. My local dance club at this point only had one male competitive dancer, me. This led to a lot of bullying in and out of school. The kids my age and older thought dance was a “girls sport.”

“Football and Hockey are for boys not dance.”

“That’s a girls sport. Why are you even in it?”

These comments and questions became a daily occurrence in my life. Comments like these mixed with the fact that I was the only boy participating in the sport made me think I should really quit the sport.

One instance I remember quite well is when a kid in the class below me made fun of me for dancing even though he had competed in Highland dancing before I even considered joining dance.

I remember him once saying;

“That sport is so girly and gay.”

This comment in specific has stuck with me throughout the years because it comes with blatant disregard for the LGBTQ+ society and genders a sport and the people participating. There is also a steep double standard in his words as he competed in dance himself just a couple of years before the incident.

As I look back on these memories I see that as children we were gendering a sport and in doing so gendering the people participating in the sport.

Due to the norm around my town that boys don’t dance I was playing the direct opposite position of what I was supposed to play as a boy. The norm was boys played Hockey and Football and girls played Dance and Gymnastics. Thus I was performing the exact opposite of my genders role.

One Reply to “Self Story #4: Dancing Differently”

1. Leanne Matthes says: Reply

Thank you for your post, Gavin. From the beginning of your story, when you explained that you started dancing when you were 11, I became curious about your dancing. What type of dance do you practice? Do you still dance? While your post is not a snapshot of a specific moment in time, the specific memory you shared along with the resonating quote, “That sport is so girly and gay” does help to paint a clear picture of gender issues. When you mention that this comment gendered the sport, I was struck by my own thoughts of experiences that I have had or witnessed. There are plenty of unfair practices in children’s sports. I am grateful to be on this journey with you toward a brighter future for all kids.