Educational Philosophy

I believe that education should be equal.

I believe education should be decolonized.

My educational philosophy revolves around these two statements. These statements are two incredibly powerful to me. For me education should not be for one student over another, it should be equal. Education needs to be for all students no matter what. For me it is my job to make and give each one of my students the best and most equal education I can possibly give. I also know that I should not hold all the power in the classroom, I should hold respect for both myself and the students so that we can form a mutually respective relationship and make sure that no one feels like they are invalid.

I also really believe that there needs to be more Indigenous teachings taught in the classroom. Indigenous teachings and ways of knowing are incredibly important, remember it was Indigenous people that taught colonizers how to survive winter. Indigenous teachings must be included in the classroom teachings and can even allow for more flexible learning in classes like history where you often just sit in a desk and read. This will help all students learn class materials better.