What Is Commonsense?

September 1, 2021 0 By Gledi Toci

Commonsense is something that is with us every day no matter the situation. Our educational commonsense is embedded in our heads and something we do not question or even think about. As explored in the article from Kamishiro, commonsense will be different everywhere you go. We become so accustomed to the commonsense from our country or city, that we like to think it’s the only way, and the ‘right way’. Commonsense is something created over time and is rarely questioned but continued. Kaneshiro also explores just how oppressive commonsense can be. The idea that the “American way” is the best way is commonly believed, even though American commonsense can be very oppressive even in education. Kamishiro explains just how some school norms can benefit a certain cultural group, race, gender, etc. This creates oppression in the education system which is normalized and rarely questioned because of commonsense. Therefore we have to pay attention to the commonsense we are presented with and normalize. This commonsense could be oppressive and lead to discrimination, sexism, harassment, and much more.

I personally have experienced all sorts of commonsense. I lived in Albania a third-world country and in Italy for a part of my life and now I am here in Canada. I did five years of schooling in Albania and the rest in Canada, and they are much different. Albania just like Nepal is by the book with strict teachers, which over time adapted to the “American way” of teaching. Therefore I have experienced both types of learning, and I also come from a diverse background who has felt left out in the Canadian school system. In this class, I look forward to bringing my commonsense understanding of pedagogy and the curriculum. I’m looking forward to sharing some of the common senses I have developed over the years between both countries, and question them and their possible oppression. I want to bring my diversity and open-mindedness to this course and question my commonsense and who it’s being beneficial to and make the right appropriate adaptations.