How Strictly Should We Follow The Curriculum?

September 12, 2021 0 By Gledi Toci

Tyler’s rationale looks at the curriculum as a product, or as I like to call it traditional learning. This type of learning is very common in many countries, and similar to what I experienced in Albania and for most of my schooling in Canada. When looking at the curriculum as a product, it becomes very technical and by the book. Teachers teach us to set material, we try to learn it and get tested on it. As stated in the article ‘Curriculum Theory and Practice‘, curriculum, as a product is viewed as a technical exercise, and “objectives are set, a plan drawn up, then applied, and the outcomes” (Smith p. 3). Being said, my education was often treated as a technical exercise back home. I would be taught something for weeks and be tested on it later. In Canada, we were given more group projects and presentations than I was used to, but the outcome felt very similar with just more options. This did help play into my strong suit which was presented and projects, considering my writing ability was not the best. Classes like math stayed very technical and by the book much like I was used to, but science classes did have little more involvement and student involvement than I was used to.

This type of learning gives the teachers all the power and leaves the students with no voice. Students follow an educational system, which might not exactly work for them and play into their strengths. Teachers begin to stop teaching the subject but state and go from “educators to technicians”. Students in education need a voice, learning from one another is just as important as the curriculum, and having the voice of students in lectures and assignments is a way of learning. With such traditional learning, students often feel burnt out, and even more exhausted over the years of doing it. Learning is far more than passing tests and exams, learning needs to be broken down into smaller and smaller units. I believe as the world keeps evolving, the curriculum needs to as well. Treating the curriculum as a product in classes such as social and sciences will only cause issues. Students need a voice, especially in today’s society where everyone has strong opinions Classes like social should be about learning from one another and their opinions, being tested on memorization of your history is not fair to students.

Even though Tyler rationale of the curriculum might have many disadvantages it still comes with some benefits. The concept of treating the curriculum as a product allows for teachers to have a path to the teaching. Teachers have expectations and outcomes each student should be reaching by the end of the course. This makes it very straight forward, and allows for assessments in relation to the learning and a simple grading scheme. With learning being so straight forward it allows for students to work/look ahead and prepare. The curriculum is there for everyone and classes like math, students will know what to expect. Another benefit to this type of teaching, is the ability to help your younger relatives due to the similarity of the content covered each year.

Personlly I do not believe treating the curriculum strictly as a product and by Tylers rationale is the best option. I think teaching in today’s day needs a good balance. Students voices do need to be heard in every subject matter, since everyone does learn differently. The curriculum she be modified to fit each teacher and classroom. It should be treated as a layout you can use, especially as a new teacher, but not something you follow strictly.