Go G**gle yourself!

Googling myself is nothing new to me. I prefer to have as much online anonymity as possible. My Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and Reddit are all as private as possible as well as use pseudo names. My Instagram is so private the only person I allow to follow me is my best friend. This blog, for example, I have set up so that it will not show up if it is googled, as well as I do not include my first and last name or any photos of myself. I had, however, never googled my first and last name plus my town and province. That combo, I did have some results. Thankfully the results I found were fairly innocent, and didn’t give much information, and was, as a rule, relatively “complimentary”, highlighting acting awards I got in high school, a scholarship I received, and my graduation.

I don’t know why I have always tried to be so private online. I think it is a saving grace because I was a chronic iPad kid, and got Facebook when I was 10. I am one of those people who likes to be “mysterious” maybe, because in person I am terrible at keeping secrets about myself, and I wear my flaws on my sleeve. I think it has to do with consent in some ways. If I post it online, I don’t know who could see it or misinterpret it, judge me, or use it against me. I only want people I consent to knowing about me, to know about me. Unfortunately, in the real world, just as in the online world, I don’t know who gets my information after I share it. I think being anonymous online is my way of negating this issue in my life. I don’t know why I am the way I am, but it has done me many favors that I don’t even know of.

3 thoughts on “Go G**gle yourself!

1. Cheyenne,
    Okay first off, *chef’s kiss* to this post’s title! I laughed so hard I had to come read it!
    I really hope one day that, it someday takes over the f-word.. or becomes its own insult.

I had a similar experience with googling myself, as I knew I would. I don’t have an overly huge presence on social media anyway but having 2 first names to google.. you usually just get pictures or videos of 2 friends whose names are Amanda and Amy.
    When I started my journey in Ed, our profs suggested putting a lockdown on all social media platforms because you definitely don’t want students to Google you and find something unsavoury. I can’t decide if this is something I still agree with or not but until then I’ll keep it up!

1. Hi Amanda,
      I am glad you found the title funny! I think you definitely would have a unique challenge finding anything about yourself on social media, have you tried adding your town and province as well? I found a couple I wasn’t expecting after doing that. One of my first days as an EA a student came up to a staff member saying they could an old photo of them in a speedo on facebook. It for sure happens that kids snoop!
      Cheyenne

2. Hi Cheyenne

I really enjoyed you take on why you have kept your social media so private. While this is something have done over the last few years, I do worry at times about things I posted way back when Facebook was new. I have gone in a deleted old history but does worry me that I may have missed something. You are really smart to start that way rather than scramble and wonder what’s out there.