Capturing the Every Day

Capturing the Every Day

Welcome to my journey on learning to film and edit videos.

I’m sure I’m not alone in having the unrealistic dream of becoming a YouTuber, and while I do not expect to create a career out of this project, I have always wanted to learn how to film and edit videos in an aesthetic way. I also think knowing how to film videos could be helpful as a teacher as I can create videos for my subs to play or just to change up ways I give knowledge or instruction to my students.

The only YouTube video I have edited was through iMovie and definitely not up to the standards that I have set for this project. I have avoided downloading TikTok until now, but I am willing to download it for this project as it seems to be a great app to film and edit short form videos on. I will take inspiration from all of the accounts I follow, but specifically Matt and Abby, Jennica and Annica, and Maya and Hunter.

My plan for this project is to try and film a short form “Day in the Life” video once a week, which I will post or link on this blog so you can watch my editing progress. For the final week of class I want to integrate what I have learned into a longer video which I will also post.

More specific skills I am hoping to learn are:

-doing voiceovers

-adding background music

-how to choose the right things or angles to film something

-adding text or other effects

Most of the videos I am interested in at this time are “Day in the Life” videos, which is why that is what I am focusing on filming for this project. I have always chickened out when wanting to film a video in the past, so having it be an actual assignment will give me the push to actually go though with it. I am very excited to see the results!

One thought on “Capturing the Every Day

1. Hi Hailey, I went through a phase where I passionately wanted to be a YouTuber, specifically a gamer on YouTube aha. One thing that also frustrated the crap out of me was the editing process like you are trying to learn right now and is pretty much the reason I never followed through and that passion I had for awhile. editing and videomaking stumped me but it does not have to stump you so to you I say goodluck! and follow your passions!