That’s a Wrap!

That’s a Wrap!

If you’ve been reading my blogs, you’ll know that my learning project for the semester was filming and editing videos. I am in a huge YouTube vlogger phase, so I wanted to make my own. Here’s how my project went:

Week 1: Capturing the Every Day

I discussed wanting to film a “Day in the Life” once a week using Tik Tok (which I haven’t had until this project). I wanted to do more short form videos and specifically learn how to:

• do voiceovers
  • add background music
  • choose the right things or angles to film something
  • add text or other effects

And I wanted to take inspiration from YouTubers/Influencers I already followed like Jennica and Annica, Matt and Abby, and Maya and Hunter.

Week 2: My First Day in the Life

This week I finally downloaded Tik Tok and filmed and edited my first Day in the Life. I followed along with the tutorial that the app gives you when you first download the app. I realized that even creating a short video like I did needed a lot of time and work put into it. I did face some struggles with the length of my clips, and the mute/sound settings on the app, but otherwise I was proud of my first video.

Week 3: Using Canva and Loom for my Learning Project

This week I used Canva to make thumbnails for my videos because the one that Youtube picked for my first video was of my sandwich šŸ˜. Ā I used Loom, which is a screen recording app, so I could record myself giving a tutorial for how to make thumbnails using Canva. I also made another Day in the Life video for this post.

Week 4: …My life is boring

This week I had filmed another Day in the Life, but I wasn’t that excited about it, it wasn’t any different than the others I had done. Therefore, I decided to scrap that idea and did a Google search for other video ideas.

• This article by Vogue suggested doing a “Get Ready with Me” (which I made)
  • This article by ClipChamp suggests letting your personality shine through and playing music throughout
  • This article by SassyBella gave other video ideas

I also made the thumbnail with my face plastered on there for everyone to see. And I cut 45 minutes of footage down to 10 minutes, which took A LOT of time. I began using iMovie this week to edit my videos.

Week 5: It’s been a VERY hectic week.Ā 

This is where I started to fall behind.

I watched a video from one of my teacher YouTubers, Amanda Monroe, and she basically said that no one cares about personal videos when you’re first starting, so I decided to make a video on what to wear for pre-internship. I thought this would be helpful because all the girls in my ECS class had zero clue of what they were to wear. She also suggested having a cohesive feed (i.e. thumbnails) so I made sure to use the same layout as my last video which I made using Canva.

Week 6: Life of a University Student

I used the same resource as last week and decided to make another impersonal video with the same layout for my thumbnail. Although my videos are all unlisted, I wanted to keep the experience as authentic as I could. I also realized this week that I am not cut out for doing this long term, at least during the school year.

Week 7: Pros and Cons of Using iMovie

This week I wanted to write down the pros and cons of using iMovie for editing a Day in the Life and then compare it to Tik Tok (which I blogged about in Week 8). My list that I made is below:

Pros:

• Pretty user friendly and easy to get started
  • You can easily mute certain clips or sounds, increase the volume, and it even automatically lowers the music you add when you are talking in your video
  • Gives templates
  • Lots of music and sound effect choices
  • Easy to cut and edit clips

Cons:

• Not many transition choices
  • Limited text placement and font options
  • Not many photo filters
  • Just lacks ā€œpizzazzā€ and looks boring

Week 8: Pros and Cons of Tik Tok

This week I used Tik Tok to edit a Day in the life, wrote down the pros and cons, and realized that I still prefer iMovie despite Tik Tok having much cooler effects.

Pros:

• I love that Tik Tok makes it super easy to delete clips immediately after filming.
  • I also love that the app allows you to immediately see how your clips will flow together/transition while filming.
  • Filming takes place on the app so I donā€™t need to use a lot of storage on my camera roll.
  • Tik Tok has so many effects, and as far as I could see, they are all freeā€¦
    1. Green screens, random generators that float over your head, face filtersā€¦
    2. Many original sounds and sound effects
    3. Text
    4. Camera Effects (like the one at the end of my video)
    5. Picture Overlays
    6. Voice filters
  • Tik Tok uploads your final video a lot faster than YouTube does AND I donā€™t need to make a thumbnail for it (if I only posted on Tik Tok).

Cons:

• The actual clipping of each clip was very difficult, probably by the fact that itā€™s a vertical editing app which means thereā€™s not much room for me to work on.
  • I absolutely hate that you canā€™t clip the music you add to your video, which is very easy to do on iMovie.
  • I found that many of the cool effects on Tik Tok werenā€™t relevant to the type of video I was making, but if I was doing a dance video or cool makeup transition they would be helpful.

Week 9: Lesson Plan Sharing with Loom

For my last post, I decided to record and edit using Loom. I made a screen recording of myself talking about the lesson plans I’ve made this past year as I thought it would be helpful to other education students (and it gets people to take a deeper dive into other areas of my ePortfolio). Loom was super easy to use, but I had a limit of 5 minutes to share everything. I filmed it in two parts, but couldn’t edit them into one video because downloading is a premium feature šŸ˜¢.

Although I realized after this project that this hobby is not for me, I am glad I put myself out there. This was always something I wanted to try, I just felt like I wasn’t adding anything to the YouTube universe, and that I prefer to watch other YouTubers (especially during Vlogmas) than create my own videos.