Teaching Philosophy

Teaching Philosophy

I will approach education with an open mind, willing to listen and learn from my students. I want to share my love of learning and show my students that school can be fun.

I want to be a teacher that makes a positive impacts in students’ lives. I want to create a safe space for my students and let them know I will be a listener and supporter if they need someone to talk to; I will care about my students.

Pedagogy

I believe that education should be accessible to everyone, including those with physical and cognitive disabilities. In my classroom, I will create a multiple spaces where students can do their work and provide differentiated instruction for my students’ understanding (i.e. videos, manipulative, edit texts to different reading levels) and be available to help students who want it as much as I can.

Assessment

I believe that assessment can be shown in a myriad of ways, not just exams and worksheets. In my classroom, I will allow my students to choose how they would like to show their learning, for example, making videos, writing papers, creating visuals, oral/multimedia presentations, or other creative outlets. I will also utilize various methods for formative assessment such as exit slips, thumbs up/thumbs down, and journals. 

Social Justice

I believe that education should honour and respect all cultures, religions, genders, and sexual orientations, and those with disabilities. In my classroom, I will have resources and posters around my classroom that reflect the diversity in my students. I will incorporate Treaty Education in various subjects and have my students participate in the Treaty 4 Gathering field trip, either in person or virtually. And be sure to go in depth on these important topics based on the curriculum in age appropriate ways.

Lifelong Learning

I believe that students should be able to take what they learn in school and apply it to real life situations. In my classroom, I will try and connect what we are learning in class to a real life situation (ex. rich mathematical tasks/thinking questions, experiments/field trips in science, using stories and experiences about people their age in ELA, class simulations and fairs in social studies). Bringing in those from the community could also be a great way to show students how what their learning could be applicable to their futures.