Cellphones SHOULD NOT be banned…maybe?

Well, at least that is what we argued for. It is hard for the other team in the debate because that side stands for none at all then, when there are so many things that it can make easier. On the other side, you bet I understand that they can be a nuisance and distraction to getting things done. We mentioned it multiple times in our debate, but I genuinely believe proper classroom management is key to making it work. Is it going to be 100% perfect and you will never have a problem? Of course not. Kids aren’t supposed to hit each other and they still do sometimes. I’m not saying it solves the problem, but it certainly helps. In my experience, many teachers let things slide as the year goes. If you’re going to start something, start it at the beginning of the year and make a point of following it. Will it be easy? Maybe not initially for sure, but things take time.

Is it Time to Ban Cell Phones in School (this is not what you think)? |

Ontario’s ban on cellphones certainly shows that the government, ministry of education, and teachers have come to a breaking point. Other provinces have taken a similar route. I’m just wondering how it is going to look. However, the government has given schools the ability to let schools choose whether or not the students can use their phones for educational purposes. So, again, like mentioned in the debate, even the higher ups see the benefit.

Schools should turn off the phones

My school division has a policy and sometimes it also depends on circumstances on school. Here is an example of a policy for Lakeview Elementary. They recognize that the students can carry them, and it goes on to list when uses are appropriate and when not. We know that students aren’t always going to follow this, even if we go over it at the beginning of the year. We need to keep to really enforce the rules and do more to make it work, in my opinion, but I’ve talked at length in the debate about management.

Lakeview School Turning 100! | Regina Public Schools

In my personal experience having phones has been a big help. My school has technology to use, but not enough to meet the demand placed upon it. Sometimes I can only get a handful of laptops. The majority of students I taught this semester had phones though. I would reserve the laptops for anyone that didn’t have access to the internet, (this is also how I phrased it to people so they didn’t feel bad about maybe not having a phone) and then those that had phones worked. To avoid them goofing off, I typically made work due very quickly, which then forced kids to work and hand things in or face getting a a zero. The first time this happened, kids were surprised I put the zero in gradebook. We have a week policy in my division which always them to hand late items in up to a week after the due date, that doesn’t mean I can’t put a zero in until I get it. The zero normally sparks panic because their parents/guardians can see them. I’m not into causing stress, but deadlines are a part of life and learning the responsibility to do things in a timely manner is important.

Overall, I think phones have so many positives, but I have definitely had the struggle that so many of you are facing. I don’t think they should be banned, but there should definitely be more strict guidelines. There are already pretty clear guidelines, but the buy in from the teacher to enforce is huge.

4 thoughts on “Cellphones SHOULD NOT be banned…maybe?

1. Great post! I totally get where you’re coming from. Managing cell phone use in classrooms can be tricky, but I agree that outright banning them might not be the best solution. Proper classroom management is crucial, and starting with clear guidelines at the beginning of the year can make a big difference. In my experience, having phones in the classroom can be a huge help, especially when there aren’t enough laptops or other tech resources.

2. Your blog posts are some of my favourites to read. I must admit I was very excited to debate against you and you guys really gave us a run for our money. I agree, the only way to make phones work is if there is a very mandated policy, or management. I think our biggest issue was the word ‘banned’ itself. But then I was writing on another post, and we talk all this stuff about teaching them how to use it but we don’t take them into church… so I think there is a time and a place for phones… I think the technology aspect can be a bit of a cop out – grade 1-3 or 4 does rotations all the time in guided math/reading. Not everyone gets a device at once BUT that being said, I have also really struggled with when I couldn’t have any computers, but again, time management is crucial.

• Thanks for the reply and debate! Yeah I think our experiences might be a little different and we face different issues! I’m in the high school setting with 35 grade 9s trying to do inquiry projects and go outside the box, which we have been encouraged to by our admin. I genuinely like doing it too. It is just difficult. I think there is definitely a time and place for phones, I think we agree on that! I’m not a big fan of the church example, due to the nature of the dogmatic rules associated with churches and religion as a whole. I, personally wouldn’t want my class to operate like that and I don’t think you mean that with the comparison. I do understand the respect piece that comes from this though and respecting the sanctity and value someone holds with religion and being courteous by not being on a phone, but I don’t think that it compares to a classroom.

Thanks again!

Hetterley

3. An excellent debate and post!! I agree with you that “banned” is difficult and sometimes not implementable. Also, there can always be distraction, even without phones in the class. But their usage ideally is the solution to the problem. I am still not sure I would appreciate phones when I am instructing and that is where I would like to draw my line..