I actually consider the following

You’ll only get the title if you see the name of my blog and if you’re a fan of the GOAT Bill Nye. The last debate was a doozy as we looked addressed how technology potential makes the world more equitable, not just the classroom. When we encompass everything it is hard to only talk about the good, we must address the bad, which has been a common theme throughout this course. Unfortunately, not everything is all sunshine and rainbows and I think being more aware of how technology is used, its pros, and even its negatives, will help us make more informed, ethical choices.

Bill Nye 'The Science Guy' is getting a new Netflix show. This is not a  drill. - The Washington Post

So when it comes to the world, there are scenarios where it can be better. I mentioned it in a comment during the debate, but the internet has created the ability for people in countries with “poorer” economies to find employment digitally and be able to bring in money from a different country. As a “nerd” one of the stories that I find sad/funny/weird is the story of Venezuelan RuneScape gold farmers. Essentially, those living in Venezuela collect a bunch of in game currency and then sell it for real world money, bringing in thousands of US dollars into their bank accounts. So on one hand that helps, but how did they get in that situation to begin with? I’m not an economist, but I feel like the disparity in technology probably had to do something with why there is so much inequity in the world. Well that and colonialism, but I feel like technology also has a relation to that as well.

When Fictional Videogame Economies Outperform Third World Socialist Ones:  The Tale of Venezuelan Gold Farmers in RuneScape | by Kevin Feng | Medium

Another topic we touched on was how maybe equal access could make things more equitable. A lot of us did agree that having equal access would help things trend in a better direction, but it might not necessarily change the equity piece, in terms of the student’s experience at least. Imagine two classes both have the same access to technology, but the teachers utilizing the technology with their classes have very different skill levels with the technology and the ability to teach different things. This Kappan article labelled Digital Equality Requires more than Access discusses this topic and how even our experiences with technology can differ, even if we all have it. The media and options presented to you are different, there might be access to certain programs a school division can’t gain access to while others can, etc. Access to technology does have a sense of equality, but that doesn’t necessarily lead to more equity.

Ok Zoomer: how seniors are learning to lead more digital ...

This is also something I didn’t consider. It is really making me look at things at a more in depth level. Just because we have it, doesn’t mean we can use it the same, and I think that is something to consider with a lot of other things that are a part of our lives and society. My summary of learning will be more of a wrap up of things, but I can’t help but start doing some of that now.

Throughout this class we have tried to expose ourselves to a variety of different ways of thinking and knowing. This challenges our own beliefs and as mentioned by myself a few times in my blogs, makes us more considerate of our decisions when it comes to technology. I hope moving forward that I take the chance to do more than make assumptions about technology and the way I’m using it. I’m genuinely curious as to how it affects the world. Obviously I’m very partial to the classroom and the way it impacts it positively, but after this debate, I’m so curious to dive more into how technology can divide us. I’m not excited that it does this.. but ah… you get it.

One thought on “I actually consider the following

1. A wonderful overview of the debate!! I agree about how how technology can differ even though we all have had some experience with it!! Your story about Venenzuela is something I was surprised to read about!! But yes, it does work and if economically people benefit, it makes sense.