Goodbye to Videos… For Now

This week I decided to test out an article on how to play Ukulele. I have been using mostly interactive apps and videos so I thought I would give an article a try this week.

I feel like if I were just starting and using this website I would be very lost and stressed out. I like the interactiveness of the apps I have used before, like Yousician. I also like getting feedback and using a website, you are the person responsible for giving yourself feedback. This isn’t easy when learning an instrument because you could

This week I focused on building my strumming and making sure my fingers were in the right spots when pushing down on the string on the correct fret. I did not learn a new song this week, but I did build some simple skills. I really enjoyed the pictures that this website uses.

Step 1 Use a single chord to practice the 4 major strumming patterns.

I did find it really heard to learn some things through the website. I would just prefer video examples instead of pictures and writing.

6 thoughts on “Goodbye to Videos… For Now”

1. Hi Jaida, I am with you on this, articles are sooo much harder to understand when you’re new to a skill. I also always need another set of ears to hear if I’m even in tune! Good luck on learning more!

2. I agree with the article learning! It is so difficult to figure things out with just words.
    I’m starting ukulele with my classes in a couple weeks, so I’m interested to continue following your project! I haven’t tried Yousician before but will definitely be checking it out.

3. Hey,
    I love the idea of reading articles going forward. As a musician myself, focusing on finger placement and strumming are very good focuses. Always going back to the basics for the beginning of your practice makes for becoming a very strong musician. So, well done you!

4. Hey,
    I love the idea of trying out reading articles. These can be difficult for sure. Maybe pairing with a video for clarification or finding a different voiced article might be a recipe for success going forward with this method.
    As a musician myself, focusing on finger placement and strumming are very good focuses. Always going back to the basics for the beginning of your practice makes for becoming a very strong musician. So, well done you!

5. Hi Jaida,
    I also learning how to play the Ukulele. I tried to learn off articles at the start and I also found them very difficult and went straight back to the videos. I saw you used Yousician, I think that is my next thing to try. I think now that I am getting somewhat decent and switching between cords, I might try and use some of the sources you are using on your technological journey to compare our experiences.
    – Carson Sombach