Ways to introduce ASL to my Preschool Classroom

May 23, 2022 4 By Jasmin Boha

As a preschool teacher, for part of my learning project, I would love to not only learn American Sign language myself but also introduce it and teach it to my little ones in the classroom! I have been thinking ALOT about how that might look, how I might be able to explain to them in a way that they understand but are also interested in learning it! I have been non-stop researching ways other teachers, educators, schools, and even communities include and teach ASL.

One of the most common way I have noticed American Sign Language included in communities during my many hours of research is on playgrounds and parks! Unfortunately, none of the parks that I have knowledge of here in Regina have any type of resource such as an ASL board or sign located at them… common! I would love to start seeing simple, yet effective ways of sign language brought into communities here, such as simple boards added onto playgrounds, or signs with the proper sign language picture attached to them!

Amazon Be Kind T-Shirt

One way that I have begun to introduce sign language to my preschoolers is through a t-shirt found on Amazon! A few of the students noticed that there were hands on my shirt and asked me what they were there for. I thought this was a great place to start talking to them about sign language and explaining how it is another language we can learn, just like learning french (or any other language)! I had my students sit and have a conversation regarding different languages they might know and the ways they have heard these other languages whether it be through technology, in person, or other experiences.

While I was in my deep rabbit hole of researching ways to teach and introduce ASL to my preschoolers, I found a few great websites that talked about the benefits of teaching, ways to teach in a fun and entertaining way, and gave video options, free posters for the classroom, and tips on getting started! I also found many free ASL stories on Youtube that I will for sure be using in the classroom during storytime once the children are more introduced!

Next week’s goals:

• continue to work on simple greetings
  • test myself on the ASL alphabet (without video or image help)
  • introduce more ASL into my preschool classroom