A New Way to Learn: ASL and Kahoot

June 3, 2022 5 By Jasmin Boha

This week I was challenged to find a tool or app that I have never used before! For that app I chose Kahoot. Although I have used Kahoot from a student’s perspective in my years of school, I have never created my own quiz on the app or even thought about it before! I thought that it would be interesting to see how I could come up with a way to create a quiz/study guide based on American Sign Language and figure out ways to test without giving away the answers!

The easiest way I found to post a question without giving away an answer was by using Gifs that showed the actions and movements of the sign rather than just a still image.

The website itself was very simple and easy to move through. It was very nicely laid out, making it super simple to be able to learn and create a “quiz” on the page. Might I add, that it is free to create an account! while creating the Kahoot, there are many different options of types of layouts and questions you can choose from which I thought was nice to be able to have different layouts of questions rather than just the same look for each! You are also able to change the time limit on each question, the background aesthetic, and how much of a picture shows if you are using the picture as the question. Once your Kahoot is created, as a teacher you are able to assign the Kahoot to people as well. I found this might be helpful if it is being used as a study guide, a teacher would be able to see who has completed it and which answers they got incorrect as well.

One downfall I found while using Kahoot was that there are more options available only if you upgrade your account, which obviously costs money. Options such as adding more than four answers to be chosen, different background themes, and the amount of a photo shown are some of the upgraded options that are not available with the free account.

Here is the link to my Kahoot that I created on ASL!