Hands coordination in Djembe produces different rhythms

I am back with more details regarding my learning project. Last week, I had the opportunity to visit my community for the preparation of our local cultural event. I took some pictures of the materials that will be used during the event while playing djembe. Here are some of them:

I also learned different rhythms from the youtube video below. The video is in French, but you can find a similar one here in English.

Basically, I learned simple, double, and triple paradiddle. It consists of coordinating the movements of your hands to produce the desired song. I found that it really needs more practice and concentration, especially when you increase the speed. Nevertheless, I am getting it slowly and will be showing it to you in my next post.

4 thoughts on “Hands coordination in Djembe produces different rhythms

1. Drumming fascinates me.. so I love that you are doing this! I can’t wait to see how far you can progress with the drums! like that you have photos of all the materials you will need for this. Have fun!

• Hello Jones,

I am happy to hear that!.
      I invite you to watch at the videos I did and posted on September 28.
      Thank you and have a nice week.

2. This looks so fun! I have an interest in drumming and love these beats. I am Kenyan and drumming is a huge part of my culture so I am super interested in how other cultures drum. The drumming instruments you have pictures of are beautiful, looking forward to hearing more beautiful music as well.

• Hi Laura,

I am happy to hear that!.
      Great to hear that you are from Kenya. I presume that you have had the opportunity to see all this live back home!. Anyway, I invite you to watch at the videos I did and posted on September 28.
      Thank you and have a nice week.