ECS 100 Stories

“The influence of a good teacher can never be erased” – Unknown

Week 1: “There were many interesting differences in Regina Huda School compared to my elementary school. All of the students wear uniforms. If you are a female teacher you wear an Abaya & if you are a male teacher you wear dress pants & button up shirt” 

Week 2: “This week I was asking my teacher more about their school community. She said that when a family is recently new to Canada & have moved here to Regina, the Muslim community is really good at helping them get settled in properly.”

Week 3: “The second incentive the school has in place is called ‘H.U.D.A.’ My teacher said that at the end of every month each classroom teacher is to pick 4 students from their class that stood out to them that month & demonstrated Honesty, Understanding, Discipline, & Academics in the classroom.” 

Week 4: “Our teacher let us ask some of the students questions about their backgrounds & where they are from. We asked 2 questions & these are the results: 

Question #1: Where were you born?

• Canada: 11/23
  • Pakistan: 3/23
  • Bangladesh 3/23
  • United States: 2/23
  • Egypt: 2/23
  • India: 1/23
  • South Africa 1/23

Question #2: What languages do you speak at home? (students voted for more than 1)

• English 13/23
  • Arabic: 2/23
  • Urdu 9/23
  • Punjabi: 6/23
  • Afrikaans: 1/23
  • Bangali: 3/23

Week 5: “The students wear uniforms to school everyday, but once in a while they have ‘Traditional Dress day’. The students get to wear traditional cultural clothing to school instead of their uniforms if they choose to do so.” 

Week 6: “The students seem to be learning through several different learning techniques. So far what I have seen is that the teacher has discussion times, writes notes for them to write down, pulls up 2-3 minute videos for them to watch and uses real life examples. I think that it is crucial to use different ways of learning in a classroom.” 

Week 7: I was with a group of 3 students & they said the older grades have more access to the schools technology than the younger grades. The school doesn’t have too much, so they allow the older grades to have more time with it.”